Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #11 
Irishdancer

I had some protein film in my tanks for a few months last Summer. It suddenly popped up in all my tanks at the same time one day, was hard to control for a long time, and then suddenly was gone a few months later. Filters helped somewhat, but I don't like to run them overnight, and the film would reform very quickly. I found it easier to just remove them with a paper towel every morning and evening.

But it doesn't hurt the fish at all. In fact, one of them seemed to enjoy playing with it.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #12 
emeraldmaster

I agree, it is ugly, but it has had no ill effects on my fish. i have a strong filter and it won't go away. i guess that you just pick and choose your battles and to me, wiping film off the water twice a day when it does no harm seems to be a waste. just an opinion.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #13 
Kytkattin

Get a surface plant like frogbit or duckweed. The protein will still be there, but it is much less noticeable among all the pretty green. lol. Though if you have a filter, at least for me, duckweed won't grow very well. So I guess what I am saying is that if you are not going to have a filter, having a floating plant is your other option!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote