Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #1 
Sixwolf

Question Heater advice

A few days ago, I moved back with my new fish into my dorm room. He took the trip like a champ and is quite content now. But now that people are coming back for the spring semester, the staff have turned the heating on again. Our suite's thermostat is set at 72. I found out today when I got back from lab that my tank's water was sitting at about 83, 84 with the tank heater on. I did a small 15% water change to help bring it down to 82.

Are 83/84 okay temps for periods of a few hours? I also have a golden mystery apple snail sharing the tank. Should I leave the heater on or turn it off and let my room temp keep it up? At my permanent address, it was about 74 or 76 ambient temp inside, and the tank always stayed between 78 and 82 without my tank heater turned on. What do you guys think I should do?
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #2 
Sixwolf

Also, this is a 5gal tank, just for extra info.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #3 
Twixies

84 is a bit warm I believe, maybe turn down your heater if it's adjustable?
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Is the heater you are using adjustable?

83/84 is okay for a short time, but if thats going to happen every day I would recommend getting another heater thats adjustable so you can have it at a suitable temp where it wont rise so much, and to keep it stable.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #5 
Sixwolf

It's non-adjustable, but it's supposed to stay withing 78 plus or minus two degrees. I've almost completely closed my vent to make my room a little colder, and if I see that it's still rising too much tomorrow, I'll see how it does with no heater until I can find an adjustable one over the weekend.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #6 
aemaki09

Yeah, just keep an eye on the temp, but you'll definitely want to get an adjustable.

I have a few that are non-adjustable too and none of them stay where they are said to be pre-set at. I mean its all within safe ranges, but not where they are supposed to be.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #7 
Sixwolf

I'll aim for one of the the ones that fits top-to-bottom too, since I heard they distribute the heat more evenly.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #8 
Otterfun

I got a 7.5W Preset heater in my 2.5 gal mini-bow tank. It has been in the low 40s at area around my tank overnight and low to mid-50s by noon time.

I do not have central air/heating at my place. When I went to bed, tank thermometer read 80F, when I woke up it read 74F. I did not like the wide fluctuation overnight.

So I thought why not get a 50W so I can get ready to move to a 5 Gal in the future since it has adjustable temperature gauge. It is an Aqueon adjustable 50W. When I put it in according to instructions, it went on and off maintaining the temperature within 1F of 80F, right on the dot [WOW].

At first, I thought it was an overkill to have this heater but now I know it works much better than my 7.5W. I am very happy even though it looks like a monster to Fred. But he enjoys swimming around it. Before, he would plop himself onto the 7.5W or hug it with his ventral fins to stay warm.

So, it seems like this 50W works out for me.

Last edited by Otterfun; 01-09-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote