Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #1 
labloverl

What could live in this tank?

I have this tank. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo I've had it for 3-4 months, cycled, with a betta in it. The betta died about 1.5 weeks ago, and the tank has just been sitting with all of the water (not running the filter) since then. I actually got it from walmart, but it's the same thing basically. The white LED lights have gone out, so now I just have blue lights which makes it very hard to see a betta. I would like to put fish in it though... I don't know what killed the betta, and that is why I didn't get another one to replace it right away. The cycle is most probably dead now, so I would have to start all over. I have a 5 gallon with 1 male betta, and a 10 gallon with 3 males that I could use to jump start the cycle, but I wouldn't know the best way. I was thinking that if I didn't get another betta, that I would get glowfish, or some other colorful fish. How many would fit? Where would I start!?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I have that tank for my betta. It's way too small for glofish. They're the same as danios you know. Glofish need 20G as minimum. I don't think you can put anything else in there. Maybe a shrimp colony, or a snail troop?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

If there is something in there that killed your betta then putting fish that could live in that tank would put them in danger. The fish that can live in small tanks like that are very sensitive and often need very soft water.

Honestly I would suggest a planted shrimp bowl for it. A few red cherry shrimp would look nice and also reproduce. You can feed the babies to your bettas if you like.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #4 
labloverl

Darn, I was really hoping for something colorful. I couldn't even put guppies in there? I'm really not a fan of shrimp and snails...

LTB, have you had any problems with the light on your tank?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Most people recommend a min of 5 gallons for a trio of guppies. I've seen people put them in less, but I don't think it's really humane to them.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #6 
Firefly85

3 male endlers, and some shrimp maybe
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Darn, I was really hoping for something colorful. I couldn't even put guppies in there? I'm really not a fan of shrimp and snails...

LTB, have you had any problems with the light on your tank?
The tank is only 3.5 gallons, you can't say that's exactly big. My white LED light is pretty dim, but I still use it. I also have the other colors, too. I' planning on upgrading so that should be better.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #8 
aemaki09

I'm sure you could get a replacement light or hood (although I've never had any type of LED so I'm not positive on that)

I wouldnt suggest anything other than shrimp or snails.
You could possibly get a sparkling dwarf gourami or a honey gourami - they both only grow to about 1.3 inches so they could work in 3 gallons, but are recommended for 5.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #9 
djembekah

3.5 gallons is really too small for much other than a betta. You could try the shrimp (cherry red are very colorful). possibly a dwarf puffer.

The thing about tanks smaller than 5 gallons is that it's hard to maintain a cycle. That could have been part of your problem. Izzy's right though, fish that are small enough are going to be more sensitive.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #10 
eatmice2010

you just suggested a puffer yet thats bigger than a guppy

Three guppies and a snail i think would be fine.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote