Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
you just suggested a puffer yet thats bigger than a guppy
No. Look at the specific puffer that was mentioned. Dwarf puffers top out at maybe an inch long. Guppies can get 2.5 inches long. Even still both species are generally recommended in 5+ gallon tanks.

Another option is to get rid of the water and make it into a terrarium. You could stick it near a window and stock it with low-light plants like mosses.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #12 
eatmice2010

ya i got puffers mixed up, but the size of the guppy depends on what tipe you get most common guppy males usually range from 1-1.5 while females range from 2-2.5
The one gallon per a inch of fish is usually the common rule to follow
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #13 
djembekah

Dwarf puffers definitely are not much bigger than a guppy.
also "gallon per inch of fish" is not a great rule.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by djembekah; 01-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #14 
eatmice2010

i think in this case since they just wants to just setup a tank with something in it, so for them its a perfect rule and go to his picture that is in his first post in the pic shows THREE guppies which from the look of it is a good size for them
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #15 
djembekah

just because you think it's a perfect rule does NOT mean that it's the most healthy for the fish. I just think 3 gallons is a bad idea for a group of guppies. they sell goldfish tanks at 2.5 gallons and are they a good idea? nope.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #16 
eatmice2010

your right but a guppy stays small, goldfish get big, theres a difference
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Guppies aren't that small. I have a 3.5 gallon tank and it is tiny. It houses a pair of fish the same size as guppies, and I am moving them into a 7 gallon tank today as I feel it is just too cramped.

Guppies also do enjoy having some room to swim around. I had two trios of guppies and they were quite active fish spending most of their time on the move.

Really the only sorts of fish that can live in that size tank are sensitive and can be expensive. So without knowing the OP's fishkeeping experience, I would not recommend them.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #18 
eatmice2010

ok iv heard some of the older members say its ok to divide a 10g into four to three sections to house bettas, but its not ok for a couple of guppies to live in, they wouldnt make small fish tanks if fish wernt suppose to go in them
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

Eatmice2010, you're providing wrong info.
You're a newbie to this hobby, aren't you? Beat that to 3 experienced fish keepers who have experience over 5 years. (?) Guppies and puffers are different. Guppies are active fish, they don't like staying in one spot. Puffers are more of an explorer. They won't mind going in circles or so. Guppies will be stressed in small tanks due to their high activity level. Don't even forget about the ammonia being produced. Marketers make small tanks because they know people won't buy big tanks. They want small, cute little tanks for cute little fish. You're basically saying that goldfish deserve to be in small tanks.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

They make small fish tanks probably because it is cheaper to make them, but they can sell them at a premium price. In stores here, I have seen very small tanks that cost the same amount as a much larger one.

Bettas are quite inactive fish compared to those that live in groups or schools. My guppies were constantly on the move whizzing around their tank, chasing each other and spawning. My splendens on the other hand would usually slowly drift around over the course of the day, maybe stopping to have a rest every now and then.

For me, there is more than stocking a tank than just how many fish will fit in size wise. You also have to take into consideration the activity level requirements of the fish in question. I mean you wouldn't chuck three danios into a 3 gallon tank and they are only the size of guppies.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote