Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Hmm...I don't know if Ilike this plant anymore...

So I just put the amazon sword from this pack http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11256836 in my aquarium, and I noticed that the middle stem has metal in it, I guess so it can be bent into the desired position. That alone bothers me, but the tip of the metal seems to be exposed...Is this safe? Is there such thing as an aquarium safe metal?
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

i can't think of a single situation in which metal could be considered aquarium safe. even if it's clear coated in acrylic, there's still risk of the coating breaking down and the metal poisoning your water. you might want to take the plant out and return it, or at very least remove the metal stem (this can be done by snipping the plastic at the tip and pulling the rod out with pliers)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Yup, turns out it is defective. I took it out and I'm going to exchange it for another pack. Turns out I like a smaller plant in the pack better anyway. It doesn't have metal in it and it fits better in my 5.5 gallon...

Edit: actually, I think I might try to take the metal out with pliers instead...I don't really want metal in any of my aquarium decorations, even if it is covered...

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 01-08-2013 at 11:19 PM.
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote