Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #1 
RoMay

Can someone explain this behavior?

I'm sorry I am always so full of questions. I swear one of these days I will run out of questions to ask.

Anyways I have been noticing a strange interaction between Jabi and Kaoru. Let me explain this as clearly as I can first. They are NOT in the same tank they are in seperate containers next to each other.

First I noticed Kaoru wasn't at her begging post while the light was on. She usually swims up and down the area begging for food. Rather for the last two days she's been what I only can describe as dancing all over her tank. She'll pause where she can see Jabi. She'll sit there still till Jabi comes near agian then she'll start moving her tail and if Jabi stays she'll start dancing around her tank again. If Jabi ignores her she seems to get upset, she's already almost jumped out of the tank already. Wiggle tail-wait-wigggle tail, up and down the tank wall-wiggle tail-wait-JUMP 0_o

Jabi on the other hand cruizes her tank like Jaws. Occasially she'll spread her tail out to full (she only holds it at half it's size I nono why and it never looks clamped). Anyways sometimes she'll go nearer to the wall and wiggle and watch Kaoru. If Kaoru goes out of site she'll like look then start cruizing like Jaws agian.

Jabi has stopped blowing bubbles, Kaoru the loon has been blowing bubbles.

Is this some weird dominace dance? Really wish I had a camcorder worthy of getting this because it is just to funny to watch.

If it helps Kaoru came with the label Veiltail female- Jabi came with the label crown tail female.

Last edited by RoMay; 01-10-2013 at 04:02 AM.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
I'm sorry I am always so full of questions. I swear one of these days I will run out of questions to ask.

Anyways I have been noticing a strange interaction between Jabi and Kaoru. Let me explain this as clearly as I can first. They are NOT in the same tank they are in seperate containers next to each other.

First I noticed Kaoru wasn't at her begging post while the light was on. She usually swims up and down the area begging for food. Rather for the last two days she's been what I only can describe as dancing all over her tank. She'll pause where she can see Jabi. She'll sit there still till Jabi comes near agian then she'll start moving her tail and if Jabi stays she'll start dancing around her tank again. If Jabi ignores her she seems to get upset, she's already almost jumped out of the tank already. Wiggle tail-wait-wigggle tail, up and down the tank wall-wiggle tail-wait-JUMP 0_o

Jabi on the other hand cruizes her tank like Jaws. Occasially she'll spread her tail out to full (she only holds it at half it's size I nono why and it never looks clamped). Anyways sometimes she'll go nearer to the wall and wiggle and watch Kaoru. If Kaoru goes out of site she'll like look then start cruizing like Jaws agian.

Jabi has stopped blowing bubbles, Kaoru the loon has been blowing bubbles.

Is this some weird dominace dance? Really wish I had a camcorder worthy of getting this because it is just to funny to watch.

If it helps Kaoru came with the label Veiltail female- Jabi came with the label crown tail female.
It is okay to ask questions! That's what this website is for. Noone will ever truly know EVERYTHING - Fish-keeping is a lifetime learning experience.

Is she moving really really fast, and is her tails clamped? If so, I'd think it's more to do with the stress of being able to see eachother. Maybe thicken the gap between them.

If they both don't seem stressed, just happy, I would leave them. It is probably the fact that they can see another Betta - they aren't as lonely. "Friends" one may call it.

If you are concerned I would either put something between their tanks so they can't see each-other, or widen the gap between the two tanks.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #3 
RoMay

No their fins arn't clammed. Kaoru will clamp em for a bit as she swims but that's normal. And Jabi's tail is never fully spred out, it's like one of those folding fans but only half closed. If she'd never spread it I wouldn't have noticed it opened more is what I am saying. Unlike Kaoru I never seen Jabi clamp her fins as she swims but she's never swam fast. She litterally swims like Jaws, which is new because Jabi before was a hider (she hates me). The only time that Kaoru seems stressed is when she can't see Jabi. Thus why she almost jumped out. But I don't know if this is due to agression, you know "Where's the - I know she's there. I am going to kick her tail fin." or because she likes the company.

Keeping my eye out for prolonged clamped fins.

Again it's funny to watch, I have tried youtubing videos to see if other females bettas have done it. Only thing on youtube they have is mating rituals.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #4 
Hopelessaddict101

Do you have a lid on your tanks? I hope you do. Females like to jump more than males - probably hence why she jumped. But she may also have been trying to get into the other tank.

And what I recommend doing is just keep an eye on what's happening and put a lid on your tanks if you don't have one!! And if it carries on you might want to either:

Move the tanks away from each-other - or at-least increase the gap so they can't see each-other.

Or

Put something between the tanks to block their sight.

It's not actually bad for them to be doing that, and it probably has everything to do with breeding, but in the long run, it will cause them stress.

~Hopelessaddict101
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #5 
RoMay

OH it has a lid. I learned my lesson bringing home some unwanted minnows. One LITTERALLY went to meet my roomate. It's also why Kaoru didn't make the leap out she hit the saran wrap.

So in the nut shell so long as they arn't clamped, let them play, but like all children there must be a bed time?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #6 
Hopelessaddict101

Exactly. :)