Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Preparing Plants for Tank

When I aqua-scaped my 29 gallon NPT, the local petco/petsmarts did not have the variety I was hoping for. I went on-line and ordered the proper plants. I planted what petco plants I had at the time, then filled and started the tank, which now has 6 corys. 3 weeks later, the new plants have arrived in water from the (overseas) shipper.

I have read everything I can about aquarium plants and the planted tank EXCEPT for how to prepare the newly purchased plant for the tank! The only advice I've seen is to "inspect for snails". (Actually, I like the snails- free fish food or new pet!) When you go to the LFS, they pull the plant out of there plant aquarium, and add water from that tank for you to bring home. To me, this sounds like a recipe for adding something yucky to your tank, but since you're cycling a new tank, no worries. But what about adding new plants (from mystery water) to a healthy aquarium?

Am I worrying needlessly? Should new plants gradually be introduced (like fish)?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
When I aqua-scaped my 29 gallon NPT, the local petco/petsmarts did not have the variety I was hoping for. I went on-line and ordered the proper plants. I planted what petco plants I had at the time, then filled and started the tank, which now has 6 corys. 3 weeks later, the new plants have arrived in water from the (overseas) shipper.

I have read everything I can about aquarium plants and the planted tank EXCEPT for how to prepare the newly purchased plant for the tank! The only advice I've seen is to "inspect for snails". (Actually, I like the snails- free fish food or new pet!) When you go to the LFS, they pull the plant out of there plant aquarium, and add water from that tank for you to bring home. To me, this sounds like a recipe for adding something yucky to your tank, but since you're cycling a new tank, no worries. But what about adding new plants (from mystery water) to a healthy aquarium?

Am I worrying needlessly? Should new plants gradually be introduced (like fish)?
You can have them in a float or QT bowl or tank for a week or so, just to see if anything nasty pops up.

You might even put a few tetra or something in there too, and see if anything happens to them (I know it may sound cruel bad that is a sure-fire way to see if there is disease etc on the plants)
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

I like your name. It starts with the $2 "baby betta" as the entry drug. Before you know it, you've spent $500+ on larger tanks, additives, plants, substrates, water changers, etc., etc...
I wish I were addicted to something cheaper, like heroin!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #4 
Hopelessaddict101

Thank you :P And it truely is, I have thirteen tanks/aquariums and still counting :/ (Though not all are set up right now - I have no room! :L) And it is SOOO expensive! But so worth it. :P

I like your name too, it's original lol!
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #5 
aemaki09

You can QT them in non-conditioned tap water for a week or two and that should kill off anything bad that could be lurking on them.
The plants will survive just fine in tap so no worries there, I do this anytime that I have had a fish die and it works out great.
You dont have to acclimate them or anything like that though luckily, just toss them into the new water and they are ready to go! Be prepared for some to melt if you have any crypts or val's, they tend to do that whenever they get into new parameters.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #6 
Xaltd1

What are crypts and vals?
(I guess if I don't know if I don't have one!)
Do you mean you empty the tank any time a fish dies? Or do you pull the plants?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #7 
MSG

I quarantined for OVER a month in regular tap water & still had problems

Things like dragonfly nymphs & damsel fly nymphs won't die from just tap.

Some of the unidentified worms didn't die either, so I'll be using a potassium permanganate dip from now on.

As for the amount of money you spent on equipment, you could easily saved 60%-70% with some research, patience & luck.

It's only when you're scrambling & in a rush that you end up spending top dollar on equipment & supplies.

Last edited by MSG; 01-05-2013 at 11:33 AM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #8 
eatmice2010

How do you use potassium permanganate dip
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #9 
Xaltd1

Don't the fish eat the nymphs and worms?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #10 
MSG

Worms can have viruses & parasites in them.

Yes, the fish definitely eat worms/bugs & any other organism small enough to fit in their mouths, but when you have a nymph that's 5x larger than the fish...... they end up being food for the insect.

I had a dragonfly larvae that was completely hidden for 2 months before I first spotted him. Thing must have consumed at least 30 of the fry hiding in the driftwood.

I'm sure you're familiar with a HOT Tamale cinnamon candy? It was that big.
  • A betta the size of a grain of rice is no match for the predatory insects.

When I caught over 200 damselfly nymphs, after dropping a few into the tank, I realized the fish had to battle the insect up to 3 minutes before they could eat them.

The nymphs mouthparts are like grappling hooks & once they grab on to something, they don't usually release. They can easily cause damage to a betta's fins when they latch on.

The remaining 100+ nymphs, I decapitated & soaked in boiling water for 30 seconds before they were fed to the fish.

• As for the potassium p..... there's plenty of info/videos out there. Just have to get a hold of the substance first & decide if the price is worth it to you.
Highly recommend using gloves & eye goggles when you use PP. It stains much worse than iodine.

Other people use a diluted solution of bleach mixed with tap water to disinfect their plants.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote