Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #1 
Karebear13

Cycling Question

Here is the deal,

My tank finally cycled it. I had been trying to cycle it for months and finally when I removed my axolotl from the tank when I went on vacation and let it sit there for three weeks it appeared to have cycled. The ammonia was at 0, nitrite was at 0 and the nitrate was at 5.0ppm. Yesterday I re added him to the tank and when I check the nitrite it seems to have increased to .5ppm in a day is this normal I haven't fed him in the tank of anything. I don't want to hurt the bacteria but what can I do so that the tank doesn't break the cycle?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #2 
aemaki09

I would leave him in there and do frequent but small water changes. You've got more bioload in your tank now so it has to catch up.
You'll start seeing nitrates eat up the nitrites soon
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #3 
waterdog

It's all a part of the grand wheel of cycle. Anytime you change the load, i.e. adding fish, the readings will change. As long as your at 0 ammonia, your bio is doing it's job. It often seems complicated at first, but it's actually just a chain. Ammonia feeds the nitrites, which multiply as the food source grows, nitrates multiply as nitrites multiply. One feeds the other.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #4 
Karebear13

Okay so if its a ten gallon tank should I do partial water changes daily if it starts getting too high?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #5 
waterdog

IF you see the ammonia going above 0, change 1 gallon of water per day. Any more than that and you dely the cycle from completing.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote