Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1 
louisvillelady

HMPK Copper half-giant (M) x PK Green half-giant (F)

Both approximately 4 months old. After almost a week, they finally figured out what they were doing and spawned on 2-5-12. The male is a gentle lover, leaving the female with only two splits in her tail and a smile on her face.lol

Daddy has a huge nest under a Styrofoam cup. He is vigilant in gathering the eggs and placing them in the nest, even though, there are WAY TOO MANY for him to keep up with. I normally leave the male with the fry, but he has not stopped the last 24 hrs. I will be keeping a close eye on him the next couple of days to make sure he isn't over worked or over whelmed with all the fry. I have not fed him yet. Will feed him the same day I feed the fry their first meal.

I am very excited about this spawn. He is the most beautiful fish I have ever had, and just adore him. The fact that he was so great with the female and now the fry makes me love him all the more. This is also the largest spawn I have ever had or seen! They are literally everywhere in the 40 gallon tank and they are not free swimming yet! They seem to be quite strong and vigorous also. Because these are half-giants, the water depth is deeper than any of my other spawns. Yet, the fry can make it to the surface without much struggle! I am impressed with them already! Hope it holds for the duration.

I apologize in advance. I do not have a good camera. I only have the one on my phone. Hey, I had my choice, a camera, or another betta...I thought you'd understand. ;)

Pic of mom

Pic of Dad

Pics of Dad tending the nest. The black specks on the edge of the cup are all fry. In the other pic, you can see all the white specks on the ground, they are all fry! They are everywhere! :)
Attached Images

louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #2 
blueridge

Your male is really gorgeous! Can't wait to see how the fry turn out.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #3 
BettaDays

What a handsome man you got there, that jewel of a lady is lucky. Post updated pics in in a few days, I would love to see how this pairing turned out.
BettaDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #4 
louisvillelady

Thanks guys! They are free swimming today and have had their first bbs meal. Alot of them have "disappeard". I believe they are amongst the plants. Dad swims about the plants and returns to the nest with a mouthful of fry. Most are very strong, but have seen approx. 10 or so that seem very weak. Dad still picks them up and places them in the nest. Dad still refusing food. Gonna have to keep an eye on this guy as he may be TOO GOOD a dad. Sacrificing himself for his young. If he does not eat in the next day or so, I will be pulling him. I hate that, because the fry do so much better with Dad in charge. He may start eating once he gives up the nest. I have seen that before. But I've also seen them never give up the nest, and drive themselves crazy trying to herd the young.lol

I would post a pic, but all I have is a phone camera, and it does not pic up the fry. It just focuses on the other things in the tank. Not much to see anyway, just alien eyes.lol Will try to borrow a camera from somewhere and keep things posted. :)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #5 
BettaDays

Lol I had meant to say in a few weeks*

It was late when I posted that and I was sleepy =-=
BettaDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #6 
callistra

What a great pair.. I can't wait to see what colors they will produce
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

Beautiful pair!!! Keep us updated! ^^
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #8 
louisvillelady

Yes I am curious to the colors they will produce myself! The female was listed as "green". I have never been good at telling certain greens from royal blue with blond gene apart. To me, she could be either color, green or blond royal. Maybe someone reading this could help me out with that. Those two colors would produce different outcomes. Plus I'm not sure if she carries the metallic or not. So that could change things as well. Her fins are not the greatest, but I do like her long body. That is somethging I want to keep in my line. Giants tend to be a little on the chunky side, so I'm watching that.lol

Bettadays, lol, its ok. I've been know to do things like that myself!lol on a different note, I like your screen name. It made me think of another one, Bettadaze!lol wonder if anyone is using that? That would be a good one. We all are familiar with that condition, dazed by the pretty bettas.lol

Ill keep you all posted! Glad others r excited to saee the outcome as well. :)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #9 
louisvillelady

Had to remove Dad yesterday. :( He was still refusing to eat, and wasn't about to give up the nest. He had "called" his fry so much and so often, that they stopped coming to him. It was a little sad. On a good note though, he is a wonderful Daddy! This is his first spawn, so maybe next he will learn to loosen up a little.lol

Fry are eating great and are strong swimmers. I have been adding water daily. Things are looking good, even though I didn't really want to pull Dad.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #10 
sparkyjoe

Beautiful!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote