Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Lots of Flaring?!

My new Betta has been flaring like crazy all the time at his reflection. It doesn't matter if the light is on or off of if it's night or day- he just seems to be concentrated on flaring. His colours have started to come in beautifully, and I can tell he's healthy, he's incredibly active, all over the place. He just seems to focus on flaring A LOT. Is this something I should be worried about, or is it natural? My older Betta only really started flaring around November, after I'd had him for 5 months, so I'm rather new to the concept.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

How long have you had him?
By newest betta flared at absolutely everything for the first 3-4 days that I had him but he calmed down. A lot of times they are flaring because they are establishing and protecting their new territory. My newest betta has also since gone blind and no longer flares at all :p

It is pretty normal and I would not worry too much as long as he begins to calm down. Sometimes excessive flaring can cause rips in the fin, but those, too, should heal within a day or so on their own as long as the water is warm and clean.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I've had him... Maybe a week and a half now, but he only went into his big 10g Saturday or Sunday.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, it could be a territorial thing. I'd just keep an eye on him to see if he calms down. He's probably also just very aggressive... Some are more aggressive than others. Mine does not flare anymore but I can still tell that he is very aggressive despite his blindness.

I would be cautious if you were planning to add other fish in the tank (if you haven't already). Is the tank heavily decorated? If he continues to excessively flare, you could try adding a few more decorations and caves, OR you could try lining three sides of the tank with white or light colored paper or cardboard if you think there is an issue with reflections.

Anything black on the outside of the tank will cause him to see more reflections inside the tank.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

He does seem quite aggressive. When he was in his 1g this past week I had to make sure he couldn't see into my 10g that only had Otos and a snail because he would go crazy trying to get them... My older Betta seems much calmer than him, he never really had any problems.

I was thinking of adding a snail or two to the tank because of it's size, but if continues to be aggressive I might just move him to my 5g and use his tank for some new fish. The tank has a big vase in it right now and a castle with a few awful looking plants. I can't go decorating shopping until Saturday, when I plan on getting him some live or silk plants (and lots of them!) I will try covering the sides- one is already covered by a book to keep him from seeing my other male, who is currently in a QT tank.