Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #1 
Mattie1996

Exclamation Going to get a Male Batta fish. Help.

My brother(18) and I(16) are going to get a betta fish soon. But as I am trying to figure out the cost of all the things I need I don't know all I need to get to make sure the fish will be healthy. If you can tell me anything I need to get or have to make sure the boy will be healthy please tell me. It will help.
Mattie1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

1. a tank
2. filter( make sure matches your tanks size)
3. a light
4. heater(make sure matches your tanks size)
5. Gravel or some type of beding( fill to atleast 1 inch)
6. housing( hiding place)
7. plants(live or fake)
8. tester for the water( ammonia, PH, nitrite)
9. a thermometer
10. dechlorinator
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1996 View Post
My brother(18) and I(16) are going to get a betta fish soon. But as I am trying to figure out the cost of all the things I need I don't know all I need to get to make sure the fish will be healthy. If you can tell me anything I need to get or have to make sure the boy will be healthy please tell me. It will help.
depends:

For a 2-4gallon:

- adjustable 25 w heater
- conditioner for water
Recommended Prime brand
- food
Pellets (recommended like omega or spectrum brands)
Flakes (optional, yucky for bettas)
Frozen foods: blood worms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp (as treats, optional)
Dried blood worms (optional treat)

- Soft decoration that is safe for a betta's long fins like silk plants or a cave so they can hide and feel safe. (You can use coffee mugs too)
- Fish net and a cup
- Light (optional but they cannot be in the dark)
- Gravel (optional) you can have a barebottom tank which is easier to clean
- Live plants (optional)
- Termometre
- Water testing kit (optional, basic tests should be at least ammonia and PH)
- Tank lid (optional but highly recommended)

For a +5 gallon tank:

- adjustable heater (depends on tank size)
- conditioner for water
- food
- Soft decorations that is safe for a betta's long fins like silk plants or a cave so they can hide and feel safe.
- Filter (if you are going to cycle the tank, read about cycling here:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 )(If you are cycling the tank you need a water master testing kit)
- Fish net and a cup
- Light (optional but they cannot be in the dark)
- Gravel (optional) or thin sand. You can have a barebottom tank which is easier to clean
- Live plants (optional)
- Thermometre
- tank lid optional but highly recommended.

First aid kit: for you to be ready when the betta is sick

Basic items:

- Aquarium salt
- Epsom salt
Medicine list:
- Anti parasitical medicine (for ich and velvet)
- Anti fungus medicine
- Anti bacterial medicine (for fin rot and columnaris)
- Indian almond leaves (optional)

Last edited by asukabetta; 01-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I just wanted to jump in and add that buying medication is optional at this point but you might want to keep that list in handy just in case you do end up with a sick Betta.

I would also like to add in, please, get a glass thermometer. They are so much more accurate than the sticky strips and you can use them both inside and out when you are doing water changes (don't want to accidentally use water that is too hot or cold).

As for the getting a net, while highly recommended (and needed in some cases), I suggest you learn to use the cup your Betta comes in to try and scoop him out for water changes (if and when need be). Nets can damage a Bettas delicate fins. It took me a while to get the hang of cupping but normally all you have to do is wait for the Betta to swim to the surface and scoop from behind. The vacuum should pull the Betta into the cup.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5 
eatmice2010

I totaly forgot about the net part Rosso1011, lol :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

As I said, I recommend learning to use the cup the Betta comes in, however, a net can come in handy for other needs or circumstances.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #7 
Viva

Asuka's post gave you a lot of helpful info. If you want a tank that costs a little less but requires more maintenance, get a 2 - 4 gallon tank. This size tank doesn't require a filter because filters are mostly used to grow benefical bacteria (bb) in that will "clean" the water (get the ammonia and nitrites out). This is what it means to "cycle" a tank...to grow a colony of bb that will keep the ammonia and nitrites at a safe level. A 2-4 gallon tank is too small to establish a cycle in because there is not enough surface area. Therefore, a 2 - 4 gallon tank must undergo at least 2 50% water changes weekly.

A 5+ gallon tank is large enough to establish a cycle in, so you will want a filter. This is what I recommend because you will need to do only 1 partial water change per week once your tank is established. My 5.5 gallon Top Fin starter kit came with the tank, a hood, a Top Fin Power Filter 10, and an incandescent light bulb - $29.99 on either Petco or Petsmart website, I forget. So, this is what you'd need:

-$29.99 Top Fin 5.5 gallon aquarium kit (tank, hood, light, filter)
-$25 Adjustable 25w - 50w heater
-$15+ for silk or SOFT PLASTIC plants and misc. decor
-$5 - $10 Water Dechlorinator (Seachem Prime is the best and lasts the longest)
-$4+ Thermometer
-$5+ Food
-$5+ fish net

Recommended/Optional:
- $10+ Substrate (depending on what type you purchase...sand, gravel, stones, etc.)
- $7+ gravel siphon/vacuum
- $10+ bucket for water changes (at least 2gal capacity)...horse feed buckets work great
-$5+ Live plants (This requires at least some type of lighting...fluorescent is best)
-$10+ Medications and treatments for the betta

If you have none of these things already, you're looking at $80-$100 to start your 5+ gallon setup. Please read about The Nitrogen Cycle if you're going to cycle your tank because it can be very harmful to your fish if not done properly.

Last edited by Viva; 01-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #8 
asukabetta

If you are low budget your friend will be a dollar store. Tanks are expensive when you cannot afford a +5 gallon, you can always get big square vases like this:

Or cilinder:

The more tank like it looks the better! And they cost a lot less than in aquarium stores.

Also decor wise you can get silk plants from craft stores (as long they do not have metal within the stems because it can rust) and marbles for the bottom or sand used for swimming pool filters (rinsed very well)

As a cheap hidey hole, you can use candle holders/incense holders

And even things like coffee mugs...

Thermometers which you can get in dollar stores...

You can upgrade them later slowly as you get money.

This will save you a lot of money and the main costly things will be the heater.

The important thing is to have fun, be creative with your set up and make sure that the betta has enough room to swim around, interact with its things and you, and that the decor won't hurt him or his fins.

Also medication is not entirely optional, but if low on money its good to at least have aquarium salt in hand.

Last edited by asukabetta; 01-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, new owner