Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #1 
Kalari32

Critique my fish please (:

I bought him from a breeder, and now I am interested in showing Frost. He is 8 months of age. Let me know if you think I should show him!
Attached Images

Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

IBC member? Have documentation of permission from breeder to show him?

I hardly read the standards for CT and I think I forgot my login for the IBC so I can't tell you much on him.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #3 
DiiQue

Technically, if you did not breed the fish yourself, or gotten written permission from the breeder (not sure on the last part), that you wouldnt be able to enter.. As that is basically taking credit for someone else's work. Nice fish though... I dont trust my eye enough right now to critique, so I'll let the more experienced folks do that.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #4 
aemaki09

He actually looks really good
But like everyone else said, you'll have to spawn him and show fry of his, or get permission from the breeder, which I honestly doubt they would give you since its their work and not yours
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #5 
Kalari32

I have permission from my breeder (: I was wondering if he would do any good at shows
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #6 
Kalari32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Technically, if you did not breed the fish yourself, or gotten written permission from the breeder (not sure on the last part), that you wouldnt be able to enter.. As that is basically taking credit for someone else's work. Nice fish though... I dont trust my eye enough right now to critique, so I'll let the more experienced folks do that.
I do indeed have permission from the breeder (:
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

With permission from the breeder then you can go ahead and show him. Reading my book from Victoria Parnell and he looks decent (kind of an odd angle). He might do well in the new breeders class.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #8 
Basement Bettas

If you are here in the US you really need to have bred the fish., You may be able to enter as a "team" with the breeder according to the rules. But using a fish you have not bred tends to rub most breeders the wrong way here. Even if done according to the rules. I'd breed him and show his offspring. It is the raising of the fish that marks a good breeder as well as choosing the quality of the parents. Buying a nice fish does not count.. raising a nice fish does.. at least here.

He has pretty good fin reduction but needs more of the 180 spread. His color needs cleaned up too. Body color is bleeding into the fins and is a fault. Those fins need to be solid red. nice looking fish.. find a good female and you should have some fish to show in the later shows.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Another thing about breeding then showing the offspring is that you have the satisfaction of knowing that you had a hand in creating something so beautiful.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Another thing about breeding then showing the offspring is that you have the satisfaction of knowing that you had a hand in creating something so beautiful.

++++++++++1
I dont want to sound rude, that isn't my intention at all. I just dont understand why you want to show a fish that you had nothing to do with making what it is.
Like with horses, yeah, you can buy a nice horse, but you have to work with it to get it to a showable level. Same with rabbits, and dogs, and all of that. With fish that isnt the case. Yeah, you have to make them flare to build strength and feed them, but thats as simple as a mirror and food. You really arent proving you accomplished anything yourself by sending someone elses work to a show.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote