Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #11 
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Yeah I love it! The only thing I dislike is that it comes with an incandescent bulb but you can easily replace it with a compact fluorescent which are cheap! The filter works great but the current is a little strong, nothing a little baffling cant fix though. The pre-filter sponge I put on it also slows the flow a little bit.

Oh, and don't be put off by the cost of the replacement cartridges for the filter...the cartridges really shouldn't be changed once per month like they suggest because the cartridge is home to part of your beneficial bacteria colony...therefore replacing it can damage your cycle that you worked so hard for to establish!
How often do you change your cartridges?
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #12 
Viva

I haven't changed mine yet and I have the same type of filter in my ten gallon and that cartridge has lasted at least 3 months already. I won't change them until debris COMPLETELY clog them, so as no water is getting from the intake to the outflow. And usually you can rinse/swish the cartridge in some old tank water (make sure its old tank water...like when you're doing a water change or the bacteria will be killed) to get some of the gunk out. I have heard some rumors that the carbon in the cartridge becomes toxic after a long period of time...but I've yet to see actual proof of this claim.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #13 
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
I haven't changed mine yet and I have the same type of filter in my ten gallon and that cartridge has lasted at least 3 months already. I won't change them until debris COMPLETELY clog them, so as no water is getting from the intake to the outflow. And usually you can rinse/swish the cartridge in some old tank water (make sure its old tank water...like when you're doing a water change or the bacteria will be killed) to get some of the gunk out. I have heard some rumors that the carbon in the cartridge becomes toxic after a long period of time...but I've yet to see actual proof of this claim.
Cool thanks!!! Good info. :)

I didn't know tanks had to be cleaned so much. Some people say 2-3x a week. Of course the larger the tank and the filter change that quite a bit. I think the 5.5 gallon is a good size starter tank. And should work out great. The 5 gallon and under tanks would be too much current for a little beta if you had a filter. And the cleaning would be too much work.

I'm almost thinking of going for a 10 gallon tank.

What kind of heater are you using for your tank?

Do you know what the approximate life expectancy of Betta's are? And do their fins usually grow longer and span out more as they get older?

Last edited by tommyarmour; 01-09-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #14 
tommyarmour

Hey Viva?

Question: You sent me this link for a 5.5 gallon tank

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11459461

Do you have a 10 gallon or 5.5 gallon tank? Erg, never-mind I just noticed you said you have one in your 10 gallon tank "too". So obviously you have 2 tanks. LOL

Last edited by tommyarmour; 01-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #15 
Viva

Yes I have 2 tanks :) I got my 10 gallon about 3 years ago and just got the 5.5gallon. I do 1 weekly water change in each tank. My 10 gallon has a lot of plants in it while my 5.5 gallon has just a Crypt and a Marimo moss ball. Plants help A LOT with water quality, and the crypt and moss ball are doing just fine even with the incandescent bulb.

Both my heaters are 50w Aqueon adjustable heaters...around 20 - 25 dollars on Amazon. If you purchase them at the store they're like $35..at least at my PetSmart :(

I got the 10 gallon as a kit as well, but I think I paid WAY too much for it for what it was. I don't even remember where I got it.

I'm not sure on the life expectancy of bettas, but if it is healthy and has good genetics (i.e. bred properly) I believe they can live over 5 years. The fins of a betta do get fuller as they mature and the colors can also change (sometimes very drastically! Check out the thread called "Color Changers" I think its called...)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #16 
Myates

If you purchase a heater online, these work great.. I use all different wattages in all different sized tanks - all of them are adjustable and I've had no issues with them. Plus, they are all really cheap with fast shipping.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #17 
Viva

I wish I'd known about those earlier :( Coulda saved like $30. I really love Amazon Prime though...
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #18 
Myates

lol yeah Amazon Prime is wonderful! But when I was setting up my breeding supplies I had to do a bunch of price comparison/research.. and found those to be a really great price.. think I paid $10-12 for most of them each.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #19 
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If you purchase a heater online, these work great.. I use all different wattages in all different sized tanks - all of them are adjustable and I've had no issues with them. Plus, they are all really cheap with fast shipping.
Thanks for the heads up on the heaters. I'm ready to order one right now. I also just ordered that 5.5 gallon tank viva recommended from petsmart too. I stopped at our local Petco in my town and bought some small rocks, water purifier, and a couple of silk plants to hold our little guy off until his real home comes along. We have had this sponge bob aquarium set for about a year that we bought on accident as a present for the kids. LOL And didn't know what to do with them. So now we do.

So the 50 watt heater will work fine for a 5.5 gallon tank right? Should I get the mini, or the regular 50 watt?

OMG that great heater deal of 12 dollars turned into a so and so deal after an additional 10 dollars was tacked on for the cheapest possible shipping option. OMG look out AMAZON PRIME here I come. :)

Last edited by tommyarmour; 01-09-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #20 
aemaki09

a 50 watt heater would be your best choice, just because you have the ability to upgrade the tank and not have to upgrade the heater.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote