Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #21 
tommyarmour

Well I found a way to make it work. Sometimes I enjoy online shopping. That 5.5 gallon tank at petsmart was on sale 29.99 then shipping bumped it back up to 36.00. Then I found a good heater for 28.04(of course this is overpriced). So my goal was to get over 50 dollars to get free shipping. Well with the Tank and heater the price came up to 58 and change. So then I noticed this 15% off if you spend over 60 dollars. So I found a tiny little silk plant for 1.99 and got the price to 60 and change.

So after the free shipping, and 15% off my total price is 51.02 for:

5.5 gallon tank
50 watt submersible heater
1 silk plant

I guess it all pans out to a reasonable deal. My wife spent 18 dollars on two silk plants, some gravel, and water purifier tonight at petco. I feel I'm getting more for my money on this deal. LOL

tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #22 
aemaki09

Nice job!!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #23 
Viva

Yeah I do the same thing...sometimes buying something for an additional 3 dollars actually makes the total less because anything over a $50 order qualifies for free shipping :D Then I use Amazon Prime for other products and get them in just 2 days!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #24 
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Yeah I do the same thing...sometimes buying something for an additional 3 dollars actually makes the total less because anything over a $50 order qualifies for free shipping :D Then I use Amazon Prime for other products and get them in just 2 days!

My brother keeps telling me to get amazon prime. I'm like I might not even spend 80 dollars a year in shipping. But in all reality I know I probably do. I jump from ebay to amazon all the time.

Having that 2 free day shipping is wonderful though.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #25 
tommyarmour

Hey I have another question about my Betta. We dropped a new silk plant into his current bowl last night. And he seems to be doing wonderful today. Something new in there gave him some sense of not being alone. I also noticed his scraggly fins are spreading out a lot more today. And looking better all the way around. I was wondering should I take a drop of the water purifier and drop it in there. Its like one drop per gallon. I'm just not sure if it's ok to drop directly into the bowl with the little guy in there or not?

I just know if I got the heat up to 78-80 he would start thriving.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #26 
Viva

You can add the water conditioner directly to the water he's swimming in. I add a few extra drops of Stress Coat or Seachem Prime directly to the tank sometimes.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #27 
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
You can add the water conditioner directly to the water he's swimming in. I add a few extra drops of Stress Coat or Seachem Prime directly to the tank sometimes.
Cool that is good to know.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #28 
tommyarmour

Hey guys I got my beta tank yesterday and put it together and put our little beta in it. It does seem to have quite a bit of current for the little guy. But I can't tell if he loves it or if he is tired.

So my question is mostly for Viva since she has the same tank, the tank came with these color enhancing tropical flakes that as a amateur I just threw some in there. Our little beta loved these flakes. He was either starving or simply couldn't resist the flakes. They say on the package for "all" tropical fish. I hope they are ok. I was wondering if you used these flakes as well?

I also got my heater and realized it's not completely submersible and needs to come out of the top a few inches. I was thinking about removing the portion of the lid where the light electrical cord comes out. I think that is a optional heater spot but am not really sure either way. I only wet the filter down and the sponge before using. I sure hope I wasn't supposed to let the tank sit overnight before putting my beta in it. I used clean water from the fridge and used 5 of these water purifier drops that we bought from our local petco.

The water in the old beta bowl was 72 and I put our little beta into water that was 78-80 degrees. I know that was the worst shock to him.

So I worry about the water temp, the flakes, and the filter should I have let that filter soak for awhile or squeeze it out or anything like that. Or did I do ok. I don't want to make the same mistakes twice. Our little fishy depends on me.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #29 
tommyarmour

Here is the new tank with our little Beta in the upper right hand corner.

I removed that little door by the light cord and put the heater in there.

Here is the temp I have it at for the next hour so that I can determine if this heater runs warm or not:

Here is another distance shot to give a idea of what this guy is living in now:

Here are a few close ups:

Here he is posing for the camera:

This is going to be my icon:

Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #30 
tommyarmour

Seems like the heater is set perfectly for 78 degrees. Yay our little Betta is happy as can be.