Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1 
puplove52

White fuzz on crowntail betta

hello, my crown tail betta has weird white fuzz on its tail. I gave it fungus and fun rot medicine but it didn't help anything. please help I like my fish and have had him for a while. thanks!
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by puplove52 View Post
hello, my crown tail betta has weird white fuzz on its tail. I gave it fungus and fun rot medicine but it didn't help anything. please help I like my fish and have had him for a while. thanks!
A picture would help determine what is wrong with your betta, also please try to answer as many of these questions as possible, the more info the more people can help you.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 
blu the betta

My fish had the same thing and im pretty sure it is water mold. (its a sign of poor water quality) sadly he passed away. :( What brand of medicine are you using?

Last edited by blu the betta; 01-09-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spellings wrong
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #4 
puplove52

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
My fish had the same thing and im pretty sure it is water mold. (its a sign of poor water quality) sadly he passed away. :( What brand of medicine are you using?
my betta is pretty happy. he blows bubble nests and eats all of his food. he lives in a one gallon bowl with a spongeBob house. should it be a tank?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #5 
blu the betta

i think so. i have a ten gallon
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #6 
puplove52

reply to asukabetta, a one gallon bowl, Luke warm but unsure of actual temp, no filter, no air stone, has heat lamp, he is by himself, tetramin tropical flakes, sparingly twice a day, once every week, all the water, water conditioner, and I don' t perform any tests.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by puplove52 View Post
my betta is pretty happy. he blows bubble nests and eats all of his food. he lives in a one gallon bowl with a spongeBob house. should it be a tank?
blowing bubbles is just a sign of sexual maturity and not necesarily a sign of happiness.

They do this to show they can mate, or to mark their territory and do this out of instinct.

And you need a water heater, and a thermometre, unstable temperatures causes the betta's immune system to drop and be more prone to illnesses like these. The colder the water the harder for the betta to recover, the ideal temp is around 75-82F. (Best at 78.) The lamp is not good because temperatures will drop suddenly at night when you turn it off. Thus again unstable temperatures.

A one gallon is fine for a betta as long as proper water changes are done, it should be at least twice a week, one 50% water change with conditioner and another 100%. Because it is so small.

A bigger tank is always recommended, and it gives more space for a betta to explore, grow and be entertained.

Remember when changing water you can't just dump the betta in there, you need to cup him and let him float in the cupped water in the tank for at least 30min then throw half of the old water of the cup and add some new water from the tank and let him sit for 30 min again, before ridding the old water and placing him gently into the tank.

As for food, tropical flakes are not the best food for a betta, bettas are carnivorous and need foods high in protein, pellets are best to ensure nutrition and prevent overfeeding. Best brands are spectrum life and omega buffet pellets. A varied diet with blood worm treats, frozen foods and pellets help a lot with a betta's immune system.

As for the fungus, it was not a good idea to toss in medication without having an idea what it could be, it could be fungus/saprolegnia or it could be the fungus looking columnaris. The difference is, one is an agressive bacteria, the other is the REAL fungus signs of a dirty water.

How does it looks? Cottony?

Has it grown in the past few days?

How/when did it appear?

I insist on the picture. Meantime let's try a conservative approach, if you have aquarium salt (not kitchen salt) predissolve 1 teaspoon and add it in the tank slowly, to not shock your betta.

If you have access to an indian almond leaf, add that as well.

When you add the salt, the next 10 days, perform 100% water changes and add the salt again. Do NOT go over 10 days because it harms them. They can handle up to 14, but 10 is a safer number.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote