Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #1 
Kithy

So there's ammonia in my tap water..

I never really thought to check the tap water just because we live less than three blocks from a water treatment plant. But since I keep encountering ammonia in my 55g I decided to see what my base was.

After testing the first time it came back as 2ppm of ammonia. Waiting on the second test.

Anything I can do?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #2 
Kithy

Second test had a mirrored result. Didn't test nitrites yet.

I suppose my filters are doing a good job considering the 20 doesn't have any ammonia until a week after a water change and the ammonia in the 55 is usually below .50ppm.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 
Myates

Some places have ammonia, some use ammonium... some water conditioners you use in your tanks will change ammonia into the safe ammonium but will test as ammonia.

Best bet is to just use conditioner that takes away the ammonia, or changes it (such as Prime). .5 ammonia is actually high.. what conditioner are you using? It may be the conditioner changing it and it's registering as ammonia, over stocking, over feeding.. something has to be causing it to be that high for that size of a tank.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #4 
Kithy

It usually is that high after a week after changing water. I use Prime ^^ I honestly only saw .50ppm once and promptly did a change. It is at like 106% stocked according to aqadvisor with adequate filtration.

I always over worry and while I had expected to see some ammonia in the tap water but not that much @@ Certainly makes me glad I switched to using Prime.

So it won't really hurt them then? I'd think if my filtration wasn't doing a good job I'd see a lot more ammonia (I test the 55 every other day).
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

My tap water is 0.25 "ammonia". Proper tap water conditioner, and good husbandry is all you really need to worry about.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #6 
Kithy

That's good to know ^-^ Always better safe than sorry. Maybe that explains why I've never been able to drink the tap water since I moved here ._. Always thought it tasted funny.

All the fish seem quite content, the goldfish don't seem to act funny at all even at .50ppm ammonia but they're goons so idk. I am always extra careful with the betta and his water parameters.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Do you have cycled tanks? I find... When the tap water itself has a higher content of ammonia or ammonium, if the tank is cycled or a lot of live plants are introduced it helps. The cycle breaks down ammonia.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #8 
Kithy

Yup both are fully cycled.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Maybe add some live plants - if you don't have some already. They seem to help out :)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #10 
shellieca

IMO, which is by no means an expert opinion, you shouldn't see ammonia at any time in a properly filtered & cycled tank except maybe right after a water change as the BB hasn't had time to eat up the new ammonia introduced by your tap water. So the fact you're seeing ammonia a week later leads me to believe you don't have enough BB built up, not enough filtration. Just my interpretation which could be completely wrong.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote