Betta Fish Forum banner

petco / petsmart female selection

970 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Maddybelle 
#1 ·
Why can you only getveil tale and crown tail females in petco and petsmart..

you can get any type of male so im really curious why they only sell these 2 female types..

im assuming its coz they dont want people breeding the more expensive types and losing money on their male sales but i dont know im just guessing..

then i guess maybe its coz females dont sell alot or sell quickly so they dont want more expensive type females sitting on the shelves and dying on them. i think more people would buy the females if it wasnt just crown tale cambodians and red/blue vts on the shelves

does anyone know the reasons or have any theories as to why they dont sell good females?? discuss please

#2 ·
well my petco sells all the types here, but what we dont have that ive seen a bunch of people have gotten are baby bettas, :( i want a baby, but ya i think they probably dont get females because there aren't highly desirable then males, to you no... the norms lol

#3 ·
They pretty much get whatever the sellers give them - and I'm sure the breeders who work for the sellers will keep as many females as possible that are good breeding stock to breed them with - the more desirables such as HMs and PK females.

#4 ·
It's possible that they DO have other types of females, but they don't separate them.

It could be that they have a difficult time telling female tail types apart.

Or maybe, they just don't want to add another price category for different females. (More people want males, since they're flashier.)

I say this because my local Petsmart puts the EE bettas under "Dragon Scale." They probably just don't have enough EE's to warrant a whole new product code, so they lump them with the other category.

So maybe they're thinking that the female tail types aren't dramatic enough to warrant a whole new code, especially, if they're going to sell them for the same price as the other females.

#5 ·
ive been to 4 petcos and 2 petsmarts and ive only ever seen advertised crown tails and veil tales.. ive looked at every single female in the stores and ive definately not seen any female elephant ears, halfmoons, giants,double tales and such.. only the veil tales and crown tails..

its possible a veil tale could be a half moon but i hope i would have a good enough eye to tell them apart,i would have snapped up any halfmoons had i seen them, i guess maybe its just the stores within an hour of me havent had them in the 2 months ive been lookin if you guys have seen them in your stores

#6 ·
It hasn't been until more recently that they started selling the other fin types as it is.. just probably needs a bit more time before you start seeing a wider selection.

#7 ·
I used to wonder the same thing! Then I started actually counting rays on the "veiltail" females. I've found quite a few 4 ray counts, which are the equivalent of a delta/maybe hm. Also, if you look at the baby bettas (especially on the day of shipment) they have doubletails, most of which tend to be female.

And this is coming to you from Nebraska... where the selection usually sucks. :p

#11 ·
Petco sells other female types online, but then you have to pay $35 shipping on something that may or may not be what you want. What I did was find a great male at Petco, then shop around on AB, Facebook, and here for a girl from a breeder. I paid the same price for my male and my female: $16 each, including shipping for the girl. Sure beats $10 + $35 shipping for a sight unseen "HM" female from Petco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.