Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #1 
carbonxxkidd

Marina 5g aquarium kit?

Does anyone have this aquarium and/or kit?

I recently bought a second 5.5g from Walmart, AquaCulture Aquarium Starter Kit. I haven't taken it out the box yet because I'm debating getting a different 5.5g tank kit that has a hood/light that will grow plants. The Aquaculture LED kit is nice, I have had one set up in my kitchen for a few months now, but the light is pretty dim and so I haven't tried growing any plants other than a Marimo and some floating pothos in there.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this kit. It's about $20 more expensive than the Walmart one, but comes with more stuff and like I said, has a different hood capable of using compact fluorescents.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:Marina Style Glass Aquarium Kit
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #2 
Kiyi

I have the 10g version. :3
Was going to get the 5g version like you, but the store I bought it from had a sale that made the 10g cost less than the 5g, haha.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with mine, honestly. The filter is great, you can set it so there's barely any current at all. I put a weight on the cover to keep it from vibrating. Although the stick on thermometer is kinda worthless. Has enough Nutrafin Aqua Plus to fill the tank and do multiple water changes. I used my whole bottle over the last month, and only waited like ten minutes before putting new water in, and my Betta is fine. Great conditioner, remember to shake it well! Nutrafin Cycle didn't work so well for me, and I'll probably never use the Nurtafin Max Fish flakes that came with it, but eh. The care guide is pretty cool too, lots of info. Net is standard, fine. The bulbs that came with mine were only 15watts. So I ended up buying a couple 25watt bulbs for a couple dollars.

There's a deluxe version for the 10g (my brother has it) that has a full spectrum canopy, and comes with a long sun glow bulb. I don't think the 5g has a deluxe version though.

Last edited by Kiyi; 01-09-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 
carbonxxkidd

Thanks! Where did you get yours? I was debating looking for it at Petsmart but don't know if they carry it there. I also thought about getting a 10g kit, but I don't know if I really have a place for a 10g...5 fits nicely on my kitchen counter :P

Does this tank come with a glass top too? The main thing that is sketchy about the Walmart one is the hood sits directly on top of the water. I'm not expecting my LED bulbs to last very long because there is plenty of condensation on the underside of the lid. I just really like the fact that I can replace the bulbs in the Marina kit for 6500k bulbs, whereas the Walmart one you can't..you are just stuck with a tiny LED strip that is nice, but is pretty dim.

This kit seemed like a decent deal for $50, and it looks better than the Walmart one. I don't really need the net, food, or thermometer though...but I'll take it, haha. I'm a bit nervous ordering a glass tank over the internet though, but I guess if it arrives damaged I can exchange it easily enough.

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-09-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #4 
Kiyi

Got mine from a LFS called Pets Unlimited, in a city near me. I don't think this store is very widespread. The kit was only 50$ though, while the 5g they had was 60$.

No glass top for regular kit, but the bulbs have nice plastic shields to protect them from water, and even if the tank is full to the brim, the bulbs will still sit a couple inches above the water. (That bulge on the hood in the picture you shared.) :3

My brother actually had a regular 10g kit at first, but when he opened the box, the tank was cracked all down the side, so we took it back, and they gave him the deluxe version, which was like 20$ more! Haha, I was kinda jealous.
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #5 
carbonxxkidd

Oh that is excellent. I have read reviews on other tanks that say the hood fails after a few months because of water damage, so that is good to know. I think I'm going to order the Marina and return the AquaCulture one. Thanks for all your help!