Betta Fish Forum banner

set up new fish tank, but am having trouble with filter system

907 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Tikibirds 
#1 ·
I just got done setting up a 10 gallon fish tank that a local feed store gave me for $5.00. It came with a filter, airstone and new tubing, heater, light, and new gravel.

So far, Swimmers likes being in the large tank and has been swimming a lot in the past hour. He also has been sniffing a lot at the heater, the new gravel, and the filter device. I gave him a pellet of food, but right now, he doesn't seem interested in it.

Anyway, I did have a question regarding the filter system. When I got the tank, it had a Tetra PF10 filter on it. It says in the inside of the filter lid that it takes Medium Whisper Bags. The tank never came with the filter bags, and I don't have enough money to get a package of them right now.
Is it safe to turn the filter on if I don't have bags for the inside of it? When I turned it on, it hummed loud, then is sounded like it was cycling in terms of noise. Does this mean that the filter is broken? The feed store said that it was used for about 4 months before they started selling the tanks, so it isn't old.

Any help would be great! I am still new to all of this.

#2 ·
Your tank cant cycle without the cartridge, and your betta doesnt need it for water movement to help get oxygen to his gills, so theres no point in turning it on until you get the cartridge.
You honestly dont ever need a filter on a betta only tank though, so no rush

#3 ·
Some filters, you need to prime them or they make an awful sound. You may need to take some tank water and put it inside the filter itself and keep pouring in the water till the filter gets going. It should quiet down once it's operating properly. If you have a walmart, they have the cheapest biobags - you can get a single cartridge for like $2.50 or a pack of 3 for about $6 I have 2 tetra 10i filters that also use the cartridges.

#4 ·
Some filters, you need to prime them or they make an awful sound. You may need to take some tank water and put it inside the filter itself and keep pouring in the water till the filter gets going. It should quiet down once it's operating properly. If you have a walmart, they have the cheapest biobags - you can get a single cartridge for like $2.50 or a pack of 3 for about $6

I said this in the other post as well - you don't need to replace the cartridges every month. Just swish it out in old tank water and reuse till it falls apart. it will save money in the long run and you will be keeping the bacteria that colonized the cartridge. The carbon, will, however become less effective but chemical filtration isn't really needed unless you want to remove meds from the tank. For my Aqueon filters, I don't bother with cartridges at all - i stuff them with foam for the aquaclear filters :-D

#5 ·
Carbon is honestly crap unless your flushing meds. I have a 125, 75 and soon a 55 show tank, used to have a 500 gallo. With a 125 sump and 3 fx5s never a lick of carbon unless helping meds get out of tank

#9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! I turned the filter on last night, just to test it, and Swimmers HATED IT! I have it as far to the right on the tank as I can get it, but without a filter cartridge in it. But, once the water started flowing into the tank and the bubbling from that "waterfall" started, Swimmers had a lot of trouble swimming to the right side of the tank. It was like he woukld try and swim over there, only to be pushed back to the left side by the waterfall bubbles. I unplugged it and haven't turned it on today.

Does anyone have a tip to slow down that flow? Right now, Swimmers has a fungal infection, so I have some fungus meds in the tank, and according to the box, I have to filter out the meds after a week and take out 25% of the water and replace it. I just don't want Swimmers to get stressed again.

#11 · (Edited)
You do not need a bigger tank, you can slow the flow down several ways. Some people use this method:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Others stuff filter foam where the water flows out of the filter.

pic from older post

you can also
Block the filter intake.

Women’s pantyhose have been used for years by betta keepers to block the flow of water through the intake, thus reducing the current. Take a brand new pair of women’s hose and cut out the toe. Wrap the filter intake in the pantyhose and secure in place with rubber bands. This method also helps to reduce damage to fragile betta fins.
You can also place tall decor/plants in front of the filter to slow down the current

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.