Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 
Zoetrooper

The New Guy

I started a picture thread to show off the betta I got today knowing full well that he was a little rough. I asked people to spot some problem areas and someone pointed out that he might have popeye. So here I am, returning again.

Original Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoetrooper View Post
So. I got my second betta today. The petstore I got him from really screams dishonesty to me. It's in the way they talk to me and try to upsell when they really have a bad selection that is horribly overpriced. The good petstore has been jerking me around as well though, they have told me when they were getting new bettas in several times in the last few weeks only to show up and the order not be there.

I went with the greater evil I guess because I was tired of showing up to nothing at the other store.

Anyways, new betta looks a little rough around the edges, but with any luck in a few weeks he will be right as rain. The lady at the petstore said his stomach was distended because he just ate an hour ago. >,> Snotface's stomach doesn't bulge like this when I feed him.

Anyways! The new betta is sitting in some clean water in a little quarantine for a few weeks until I think he's healthy and can hang out in the main tank.

Now Snotface has someone to look at. ^_^ YAY!

As he is a new fish if anyone spots some worry areas let me know and I'll bring him over to the illness section of the forums, I am keeping my eye on him though.
Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon Quarantine tank placed inside a partitioned 10 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 80.6
Does your tank have a filter? The box he is currently in does not. (main tank does)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None at the moment

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Haven't fed him yet

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 25
Alkalinity: 60

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?

He's brand new, pictures above.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?

He seems active enough, earlier he was sitting at the bottom of the tank just opening and closing his mouth, little lethargic there but he is swimming around now.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?

Just got him as I stated.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?

No treatment yet, just clean water and recommended amount of conditioner.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown
Zoetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #2 
Zoetrooper

Also the same person mentioned that he has a cut on his left gill.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

So you are asking how to treat popeye? I know it can be treated with Kanaplex or other internal antibacterial meds (I'm not familiar with others but Kanaplex by Seachem is the gentlest and most recommended). I have been told that often, with popeye, you can see a white ring around the eyes when they are protruded. It's easiest to see this when he is facing you directly and moves his eyes around.

Edit: external injuries can be treated with AQ salt, predissolved, 1tsp per gallon. I've treated fin rot with as little as 1/2 tsp per gallon successfully so it may not be necessary to use that much. You seem to have a good temp and water change schedule so that will help.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #4 
Zoetrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
So you are asking how to treat popeye? I know it can be treated with Kanaplex or other internal antibacterial meds (I'm not familiar with others but Kanaplex by Seachem is the gentlest and most recommended). I have been told that often, with popeye, you can see a white ring around the eyes when they are protruded. It's easiest to see this when he is facing you directly and moves his eyes around.

Well first off, before I treat him I would like to make sure if he actually has it. :) His eyes look pretty dark to me, I'm not seeing much of a ring at all.

I have the Kanaplex on standby though.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I think a different angled picture would help, if you can get one from the front and the top... And I edited my last post before I saw your reply.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 
Zoetrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I think a different angled picture would help, if you can get one from the front and the top... And I edited my last post before I saw your reply.

Derp, I'll try getting the top one later. Having serious talks with girlfriend at the moment.

Last edited by Zoetrooper; 01-29-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #7 
Zoetrooper

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #8 
callistra

I don't see any pop eye.. his one eye looks maybe a little odd.. is there a growth on it or is it just the angle?

The top of his head is raw pitted and missing scales. I would just treat with clean water (100% daily not every 2 days) and aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon for 10 days. If you can find fresh water vitachem it will help with regrowth.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #9 
Zoetrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I don't see any pop eye.. his one eye looks maybe a little odd.. is there a growth on it or is it just the angle?

The top of his head is raw pitted and missing scales. I would just treat with clean water (100% daily not every 2 days) and aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon for 10 days. If you can find fresh water vitachem it will help with regrowth.
I see no change in elevation or growth on either eye when I look at him. You're essentially seeing what I'm seeing.

Will do on the other stuff.