Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #1 
prettykitty123

problem with heater

I am having a little problem with the heater I have for my fish tank. It came with the tank that I got from a local feed store, who was sellign the tank systems because they are not going to sell fish anymore. Its only about 4-5 months old.
Anyway, I woke up to discover that the light on it had changed from green to red and the temperature sticker was all the way down to 72 (it was 82 when I went to bed). The light keeps going from green to red.

I tried plugging it into a different socket on my power strip, I tried moving it in the tank, but the light keeps going from green to red and the temp won't go up. Its a Tetra heater that is fully submersible. What should I do? I can't afford a new heater right now.
prettykitty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #2 
Laki

Tetra pre-set heaters are not exactly reliable. With such fluctuations in the heater it is best to unplug it and remove it altogether. Then place the tank in a warm room to keep the water as comfortable as possible. If you keep the heater in the water it might end up killing your fish from a blowout.
I understand not being able to afford a new heater, but you need one. You can wait until you get some money and pick up a small heater for less than 20$. In the meantime, keep your fish in a warm room :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #3 
prettykitty123

I finally got the heater to work normally. After about an hour, the light stayed green on the heater, and the temp went back up to 78 degrees. Swimmers is much happier now.
prettykitty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #4 
waterdog

Just keep an eye on it!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote