Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 
Hopelessaddict101

Exclamation Betta getting old..?

I'm just wondering, how do you know when your Betta is getting old?
I'm not sure what's happening but I think maybe he just is. When I first got him, and even up until recently, He would be a very strong swimmer, love swimming in currents etc and really fast, but recently he has become less active, and not as much as a strong swimmer. He will swim really fast and try to stop and I see him bump into the corners of the tank a lot. I'm not sure if he's getting old or if he is sick... any advice would be great! Ta!

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 20G
What temperature is your tank? 27C
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. I have it running 24/7.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Plants.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Himself, and some pond snails that infested it..

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Recently put him on Crown BETTA X-TREME
How often do you feed your betta fish? Nightly, 6 days a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually once a week or two, but right now once a month as I'm busy. The filter keeps the water clean though.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 or 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin's Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Doesn't seem as "viabrant"
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?He's a tad clumsy now, he sleeps more, less active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last week or two.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put Wunder Tonic in his tank last week and it's still running in the system.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had cotton tail when I first got him, but that is it. I put Wunder Tonic in his tank as it looks like his tail is "thinning" and suspected finrot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure. He was adult when I got him last year, but he has grown more.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you tested your water with a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Just because the water looks clean does not mean it is good quality. If you are doing such few water changes it is possible the water parameters are out of whack & is causing an issue.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 
Hopelessaddict101

I have litmus paper tests. I need to get a liquid one, though.

I've written that wrong sorry.
I take longer to do water changes if I'm busy and don't have time, otherwise I do them one a week lol.

But, something else... I used to have his light on all day everyday but now I only have it on every now and then, could that affect him?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

It could mess up his day/night cycle depending on how much natural light he's getting. I think like most creatures they like routine. I have all my tanks that have lights on timers so I don't have to worry about it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
callistra

Definitely can't only do a once monthly water change to maintain water quality. Sorry. I would do a series of 50% water changes over the next 3 days to get it back under control.

Also agree with the lighting. You can have it on during the day but it needs to go off at night so he can get good sleep. I leave my light on between 8-10hours daily and I make sure it's off by the time the sun goes down to keep him circadian rhythm up. Light goes on with the sunrise. Others will just use a timer but I observed when I keep my bettas in a room with the only light coming in through the window they will rise and fall with the sun and seem healthier, so that's just what I do.

If you've only had him a year he's not too old.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #6 
Hopelessaddict101

Thanks all.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #7 
Hopelessaddict101

I don't do monthly water changes, mostly at all, only if I won't be around much. I probably didn't need to include that lol.

I will be getting a liquid water test kit this week hopefully, as I'm afraid the one I have isn't working very well..

And okay, thank you about the lighting info. I usually had it on even with my curtains open (he's opposite the windows), but I only turn it on sometimes now. I will get it back to routine for him.