Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Is it really that easy to start & maintain an NPT?

According to the sticky:
http://www.bettafish.com/printthread.php?t=114575&pp=40

Q1:
So can I do this with a 5-gal tank or it has to be minimum 10-gal tank?

Q2:
It sounds like you can start the tank with the soil, plants, and fish the same day, did I read it correctly?

It just sound much less complicated than cycling and water changes.

Q3:
I just bought a 5 gal, but I like the idea of NPT (no filter??) If 10g is min., I will upgrade my unopened tank for Fred my red VT.

Q4:
Also, will mosquitoes or gnats breed in a NPT, especially in the hot summer in Los Angeles?

Q5:
Can I just use gravel and plants, no soil?

Thanks for your help.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I have started soil based planted tanks in containers as small as 1gal without issues.

I have started some with a filter and later removed it and have started without a filter with equal success.

When I set one up-I add all my intended livestock the same day without problems or deaths.

You can have a successful planted tank by using inert substrate-but that is not a natural planted tank IMO.

With the soil based heavy planted tank-when setup properly-Once matured and balanced....Are as close to a natural ecosystem that can be created in a closed system-IMO/E....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

OOPS, OFL beat me to it!

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 01-10-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: OFL had posted a better answer while I was typing mine.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Thanks, so can I start off a new tank adding plants and using the "old water" from my betta tank when I am cleaning Fred to "prep" the NPT as I collect more plants and shrimps before putting my Fred red VT and Moses the Marimo Moss in there?

I suppose checking on the water stats :ammonia, nitrites, nitrates will be needed in a plant-only tank in the interim?

How about this substrates from PetSmart & Petco?
Super Naturals Premium AQ Substrate
Eco Complete Planted Black AQ Substrate
CaribSea FloraMax Planted Aquarium Substrate

Last edited by Otterfun; 01-10-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #5 
BettAsha

I too have a 5 gallon although currently empty and fishless. Although from what I gathered is that you can just start with plants, fish, substrate all in one day. I have yet to keep a NPT for leisure but I did have to keep one for a science project in school (it was for a bio lab).

With a NPT levels will eventually remain pretty stable and your fish, plant and shrimp will let you know too but that does not mean not to test your Ammonia, pH, and Nitrates and Nitrites.

I think most people should go the NPT route because it makes things so much easier and depending on your tank size a filter isn't always needed.
BettAsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
OOPS, OFL beat me to it!

Thats okay...but you should have left your post....

You don't need to use old tank water for the new tank-fresh dechlorinated is better.

When starting a soil based tank-it is important to start with enough of the right species of plants.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #7 
carbonxxkidd

I'm interested in turning my new 5g into a NPT too once I get it.

OFL, what are the "right species" of plants to use when starting a NPT?
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
I'm interested in turning my new 5g into a NPT too once I get it.

OFL, what are the "right species" of plants to use when starting a NPT?
It's in the sticky I referenced in my original post, #1.
I am not sure how many plants are needed but it has a wide selection to pick from the list.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #9 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
It's in the sticky I referenced in my original post, #1.
I am not sure how many plants are needed but it has a wide selection to pick from the list.

Ooooh, cool. I'm also wondering how many plants are needed. I have quite a few of the ones in the sticky in my 29g and I should be able to get some cuttings but I will probably need more I'm guessing.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Thats okay...but you should have left your post....

You don't need to use old tank water for the new tank-fresh dechlorinated is better.

When starting a soil based tank-it is important to start with enough of the right species of plants.
Thanks, so does that mean Prime may not work as well with a NPT since, according to their info, "PrimeŽ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. "?

Also
"PrimeŽ also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3).

Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia! Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process." <--If this is true, then will it make sense that the plants will pick up where the "other" dechlorinators stop in NPT?

Sorry, the info from Prime is confusing to me.

Excerpt from Seachem's website on Prime:
Product Description
PrimeŽ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. PrimeŽ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia.

PrimeŽ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. PrimeŽ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity.

PrimeŽ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.

PrimeŽ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. PrimeŽ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. PrimeŽ will not overactivate skimmers.

Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.