Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 
CadetAli

Quick Question About My Betta

Hey all, I am new to this site. I actually adopted my betta from a friend that had him in very terrible living conditions and she was going to flush him alive!!

I have him in a 1.5 gallon square tank, I don't use a filter on it currently (since I live in a dorm room) and I have some rocks on the bottom and plastic plants in the corner of the tank. I also have an LED light at the top.

So here are my questions.
1) He makes bubbles in one corner of the tank. I sometimes see him under it, but mostly I see him making it. Does that mean he's happy? When I did have the filter in the tank, he didn't make the bubbles.

2) I see him laying in the top part of the plants that I have in there for him. Do they sleep on them? Also he usually generates toward the top, is my water too cold? Or does the LED light give heat off to him?

3) Also, he is above my desk, and every time I walk over to my desk he swims up to me. Is he happy to see me? Or territorial?

Thanks!
CadetAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

So here are my questions.
1) He makes bubbles in one corner of the tank. I sometimes see him under it, but mostly I see him making it. Does that mean he's happy? When I did have the filter in the tank, he didn't make the bubbles.

2) I see him laying in the top part of the plants that I have in there for him. Do they sleep on them? Also he usually generates toward the top, is my water too cold? Or does the LED light give heat off to him?

3) Also, he is above my desk, and every time I walk over to my desk he swims up to me. Is he happy to see me? Or territorial?

For question 1: Im not sure they usually do that to make bubble nest before they are about to breed

For question 2: He's more than likely sleeping or resting, they usually sleep on the leaves of plants.

For question 3: If he's not flaring, then he probably is just curious on whats going on.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Welcome to the site! It's great that you rescued this betta from your friend!

1) Males often make bubble nests. There's debate as to whether they make them because they're happy, or if it's just a normal process for adult males seeking to attract a mate. Some fish make them more frequently than others. Some make more elaborate ones than others. And some don't make them at all.

As for when you had the filter, it's possible that the current made it difficult for him to build a nest. They tend to fall apart when there's water movement. (I always feel badly when I clean my guy's tank, and it ruins his nest!)

2) Two of my bettas LOVE lying on top of their plants! They'll sleep in them, or just hang out. I made a betta 'hammock' out of a silk leaf for my female, and she sleeps in it every night.

Two of my fish like to swim near the top. The other likes to be near the bottom. All three have identical tanks. So there may be a bit of 'personal preference' involved.

As for the water temp, some fish seem like it warmer than others. One of my guys seems to prefer cooler temps than the other two.

Not sure about the LED light. I don't have one of those.

3) All three of my guys do a 'happy dance' when they see me. So I'm thinking that your guy is happy to see you too! But.... to be honest, they probably associate us with FOOD! (I can just picture my guys thinking, "Ooo! Breakfast time!") And they definitely love to eat.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #4 
aemaki09

1. It's a sign that hes ready to breed. Even sick, near death betta's will sometimes make nests. I like to think of it as, he feel's safe enough to be ready to breed, so he must be happy....but in all reality its really just that he wants to breed
-- He might have tried to make bubbles when you had the filter, but you couldnt see them because the filter popped and dispersed them whenever he tried. Or he gave up because he couldnt get one to stick.
2. Since betta's have to breathe air to survive they like to rest on plants that are close to the surface so that they dont have to exert so much energy to breathe. They are lazy sometimes just like humans!
If you dont have a heater then chances are your water is too cold. I would invest in one ASAP. Betta's need their temperature to be between 78-82*. Anything below that compromises their immune system, and they lag. You will notice a HUGE difference once you warm up his water.
3. He's happy to see you, because he has associated you with food :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote