Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #1 
focusfanatic

New to bettas and need advise...

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I got 2 bettas (males) from a wal-mart and got the "double tank kit" (The kit has a wall between the two so that they can't see each other). I put Jungle Bowl Buddies brand water conditioning fizz tabs (half of a tab) and a tiny drop of QuICK Cure in the water to help cure anything that the bettas might have gotten while in those little bowls at the store. The one that she picked out (Reggie) seems to be good and healthy but the one that I picked out (Skittles) seems to be stressed out a good bit. I understand this is day #2 but he's only eaten 2 pellets (Hikari Betta Bio-Gold) in the past 2 days. Skittles seems to be flairing his gills a great bit. If it even matters, Skittles is red (white-ish/blue-ish tips on his fins that hang close to his head) and Reggie is blue and red mixed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
focusfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #2 
Cody

About how big is this tank? If it is the one I am thinking of, you really need to upgrade to at least a 5G (better if 10) and divide it, or two 2.5-5 gallons for each betta. You need a heater. The temperature cannot drop below 76 degrees.

Do your bettas have any hiding spots or plants in this tank? This new tank probably has shocked Skittles and the ammonia build-up is probably slowing him down.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #3 
focusfanatic

The tank is pretty small. There are fake trees in it tho. I am confused about how i would have gotten them ammonia in the water. I used bottled water. Any who, Skittles is anything but slowing down. There are times where he will calm down and act normal but then he starts flairing about 3 mins later. Sometimes it seems as if they both know there is another male betta on the other side of the tank. Is there anyways to calm him down Cody? Also, is the food that I am using a good brand?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #4 
xslinds

Ammonia naturally builds up in the water from the fish waste and uneaten food and is toxic. In a small tank it can get high quickly, so the bigger the better, especially with two fish. Bottled water has nothing to do with it, and tap is fine as long as it is treated (just so you know). Giving the fish more space and hiding places (like silk or real plants) might help them calm down. They could be seeing their own reflection, or just getting used to the new environment.
xslinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #5 
SST

The food you're using is fine.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #6 
Meatpuppet

tank size

i used to have that same tank until i knew how much they are not liking it. (i kinda took the hint when they kicked the bucket in the 1st 2 weeks) :( so i returned it & got my money back.

it is only about 1.5 liters and thats not near big enough for even one fish.
and the ammoina build up i expeiriance is horific. so i highly sugest you get you get a larger tank so your fish are happy and your not constantly changing water.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 
focusfanatic

got new tank...

I went out today after hearing from cody (thanx bro) and got a 5 gal tank with light and filter for like $40. Got a little rock with fake plants growing off it and put some bulbs to grow some real ones. Who knows, maybe he might like one over the other :D . It is currently 6:23 right now where Im at and he is adjusting to the water temp (if it really matters cuz i filled that thing with Dasani that has been sitting in the cabinet so it should be room temp) Good news is that he ate around lunch time (about 5 pellets). Thanks for all the help guys, it saved this lil guy's life. As for Reggie, he is going to be transfered to another tank similar to Skittles' at my girlfriend's house so that she can have one too.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #8 
Cody

Great news! :)

I'm not trying to be naggy, but I highly, highly suggest buying a filter soon. Bettas are tropical fish, and they like temperatures of at least 76 degrees, preferable 78-80. The light may seem to warm it up, but it doesn't. At night, the tempaerature can easily fall 10+ degrees, which can kill a fish. Your betta will be much more active with a heater as well.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #9 
focusfanatic

Thanks again Cody, your insight is enlightening me. I bought a tank that came with a light and Whisper filter for like $40. Skittles is swimming around and enjoying it. By chance did you ever try those bulb things that are supposed to grow into something? I can't seem to get them to stop floating lol.
Oh, these heaters, where can I find one and how much do they run?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #10 
brunof

Welcome to the boards. It's my first post as well! :D I would say not to use bottled water in this case, but instead use treated tap water. Bottled water is just too sterile -- none of the minerals or anything found in natural water.
brunof is offline   Reply With Quote