Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #1 
BettaPirate

Acclimation?

So my first Betta is a VT, which from my observation are the most relaxed of the Betta breeds, and he acclimated right away when I brought him home and every time I change his tank around he acts like it's Christmas and swims around all excited and exploring.

My new Betta is a CT and he seems to like his new home and is eating and being active but is flaring about once an hour while the light is on today. Is this normal? Should I give him some more time with his light off? He isn't tail biting or anything like that I just don't want him to overstress himself.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #2 
Syriiven

Flaring's a normal part of their behaviour. If he can see his reflection or shadow in the walls of his tank, he's just defending his territory. Sometimes bettas will do it on and off for a few days. Mine do it every day, routine patrolling and flaring of their side of the 10g I have split.

If you honestly think he's doing it too much, and if he starts to pale and develop horizontal stress stripes (they'll be obvious), then you can cover the tank with a towel and that will calm him down. But chances are he's just being a normal betta - they each have different personalities.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #3 
BettaPirate

ok, thanks for the reply. He seems to have settled down this evening so i'll just keep an eye on him :)
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #4 
Syriiven

Yup =) The only other thing to prevent him from flaring too much is silk and live plants for him to hide in and to interrupt his view of the sides of his tank.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #5 
BettaPirate

He has a cave thing and a silk plant that he likes to sleep in, I might need to get a couple more little plants