Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #1 
Perry the platypus

Exclamation I need help with my Goldfish!!

When I got home from school today I looked at my fish and thought something's not right. Then I looked at the tail fin it was 3 quarters of it's actual size! It grew smaller and I don't know what to do. I don't see any fins floating around the tank either. I might have gotten smaller like how acid burns or it could have got bitten off. I'll get pics as soon as I can!
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

What size tank is your goldfish in? Is the tank cycled? Do you have your water parameters? What type of goldfish is it?

You are probably going to have to answer these questions before people can help you out. It could be a water quality issue, or it could be something else.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #3 
Perry the platypus

Mom said it is a 22 gal. I know it's too small but they usually bunch up. I don't know if it's cycled or not; I'll ask mom when she gets home. Water parameters nope I don't have. I think it is common goldfish.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
chardzard

do u have any other fish in the tank with the gold fish?
a pic of the amount of goldfish u have would be good too , a 50% water change should help n a salt bath for 5 mins after u make the water change
u may need to change the water 2-3 times a week 1 tip to keep in mind gold fish r best keep with plants and other gold fish
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry the platypus View Post
Mom said it is a 22 gal. I know it's too small but they usually bunch up. I don't know if it's cycled or not; I'll ask mom when she gets home. Water parameters nope I don't have. I think it is common goldfish.
Are you referring to the shortened bodies of fancy goldfish? Or are you referring to the painful process of stunting?

You need to test the tank for ammonia and nitrate as it sounds like this is fin rot caused by poor water quality. Goldfish are very salt-tolerant and you can add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons to help in the healing processes. You will certainly need to start doing weekly water changes on this tank, and if those are already happening increase them to twice weekly as this was caused by poor water quality.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #6 
chardzard

1 other tip dont add the salt to the tank if u have Live plants ok remove the plants if u can hope they fins heals soon
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardzard View Post
1 other tip dont add the salt to the tank if u have Live plants ok remove the plants if u can hope they fins heals soon
Actually a lot of the plants commonly kept with goldfish will easily tolerate that level of salt and even brackish conditions. Anubias, java fern, anarcharis, and water sprite have tolerated it in my tanks very well. Hornwort is the one exception to this. Plus the plants will help absorb any ammonia spike that comes as a result of some of the beneficial bacteria dying off.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #8 
chardzard

i think that wat missing from his tank is some live plants ,it will be tricky to keep them planter couse goldfish love to nibble on most if not all live plant,plus the plants help keep the stress lvls down too,that if u can get some live plants
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #9 
Jessie1990

How many gf do you have and what types?
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #10 
Perry the platypus

Gf? My mom was wondering if it does hurt.