Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #1 
cdouglas93

Female Betta Blowing Bubbles

I was wondering is this normal? Her side also has a dark line on it that wasn't there before.
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #2 
Artist with a betta

Some girls do that
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #3 
shellieca

Yep females will blow bubbles sometimes. Is the dark stripe horizontal or vertical? Females when stressed will usually pale in color & get horizontal stripe(s), when ready to breed they can get vertical stripe(s). Can you post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 
Myates

I have a female currently who is making a bubble nest on one side of the tank, while her male companion is making his own on the other side of the tank.. she will go to his nest and then rush back to hers like she is trying to lead him over there to use her nest heh.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #5 
cdouglas93

I just tried taking some pictures with my cell and it didn't work out to well. But on the plus side the stripes wen't away and were horizontal or long ways down her body. If this does mean stress I could know why because I am currently in the process of switching tanks betwen her and Hatchi my male. I just switched him out of his 1.5 gallon and into the ten (just for now until I can get more females to start the sorority) and moved her out of her 1/2 gallon bowl into the 1.5 gallon until the 5 gallon has a chance settle because I just set it up with sand last night. Her bubbles are small and gathered around the small filter that came with the kit. I will continue to try to take a picture of her.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #6 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I have a female currently who is making a bubble nest on one side of the tank, while her male companion is making his own on the other side of the tank.. she will go to his nest and then rush back to hers like she is trying to lead him over there to use her nest heh.
Awwwww! That is too cute!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #7 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Does this mean you are able to keep your male and Female together without stress or fighting? I have a ten gallon currently set up with hiding spots for a sorority in the near future but until than I have my male in it. Could I just house the two together and they be fine or no?

Would be it ok to house a sorority and one male? Just wondering.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #8 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdouglas93 View Post
Does this mean you are able to keep your male and Female together without stress or fighting? I have a ten gallon currently set up with hiding spots for a sorority in the near future but until than I have my male in it. Could I just house the two together and they be fine or no?

Would be it ok to house a sorority and one male? Just wondering.

Do NOT house a male & female in the same tank. Breeding is the ONLY time they should be together & that requires special conditions.

Last edited by shellieca; 01-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #9 
cdouglas93

Ok thanks. That's what I thought but with that one post I got confused. I wasn't planning on putting mine together since I already have a plan in place for what I want to do.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #10 
Bluewind

It should be done for mating only. Plenty of people online will talk about how well their male and females get along, but if you notice most of those are "have been fine for weeks" kinds of posts. Just about everyone who does it, even in a big tank, will either discover injuries or death(s) from a knock-down drag out fight. It has taken some a full year, but it always happens in anything less that a heavy planted 30gal. A mondo tank is no safeguard either because sometime the females in a big sororiety just get tired of the male and kill him!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote