Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

My Sorority, Day 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JgLkw1o0c

I started my 29-gallon sorority the wrong way. I had 2 girls. I ordered 9 from Aquabid + 1 adoptee. I could not figure out how to quarantine, let alone introduce all these fish- so I tossed 'em all in together at the same time.
My tank has been fully cycled and tested as perfectly as you can get.

(I honestly thought 1/2 of these fish would be DOA! They were all as frisky as could be!)

Let's see where we are in a few days/weeks.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #2 
registereduser

OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!!!!

WHERE did you get those gorgeous girls?

You won't get any judgement from me on how you went about it. You will know soon enough if you were successful or too hasty.

If you find that one or more of your girls cannot live with the others, let me know, I will gladly take them off your hands!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

If you happen to see squabbles starting to break out - try adding more decor llike tall, bushy plants

I added all mine at oncce too - well, more like a new one every 5 minutes. No idea who the alpha was so the whole "add least aggressive first" was kinda pointless for me
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Actually, he didn't break any rule there besides not QTing(which is a rule I've always kinda broken myself, so no judgment there from me.), but hey if you know, understand, and are prepared for the risks...well, not much else you can do. xD
Its actually best to introduce all your females into their new tank at once if at all possible. Lessons the risk of one or more of the girls establishing territories and beating up on any other girls you add. ;)

Over all it looks lovely, and your girls are certainly gorgeous, but i did notice a couple of things...
The tank is a tad bare, and though your live plants will fill in...you might want to go ahead and toss in a couple more live or maybe some temporary silk plants until things grow in more, just to add a tad more cover for now and give the girls a few more places to hide as they establish their pecking order, as that is when a lot of the fighting and aggression is going to happen.

Also....that one blue/MG dragon I keep seeing towards the front really caught my eye. Its hard to see because I can't get a good look at its ventrals(though from what i can see they do look longish), but judging by body shape and fin length/shape it looks like you might have a surprise male there. Just....might want to take a bit of a closer look at 'her'(and maybe that blue dumbo too....it looks a little manly to me o.o, though I haven't seen too many dumbo females)to make sure, just in case. ;)

And what was your PH? Bettas can generally adapt to a wide rage of PH's, they're very hardy little guys, so using some kind of unnatural product to mess with the PH is mostly unnecessary and can often cause PH swings, which can be much more stressful and dangerous then a slightly high stable PH.

Otherwise....looks amazing! Can't wait to see it all once the plants have grown in and filled things up! NPTs are so lovely! <3
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #5 
carbonxxkidd

Beautiful girls!

Part of me wishes I would have bought some girls off the internet instead of just picking them all up at LFS so I could have other tail types other than CT and VT, but I didn't want to pay the extra monies. Looks like it's worth it though! Good luck with everything and I also look forward to updates! :D
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

The tank is a tad bare, and though your live plants will fill in...you might want to go ahead and toss in a couple more live or maybe some temporary silk plants until things grow in more, just to add a tad more cover for now and give the girls a few more places to hide as they establish their pecking order, as that is when a lot of the fighting and aggression is going to happen.

Also....that one blue/MG dragon I keep seeing towards the front really caught my eye. Its hard to see because I can't get a good look at its ventrals(though from what i can see they do look longish), but judging by body shape and fin length/shape it looks like you might have a surprise male there. Just....might want to take a bit of a closer look at 'her'(and maybe that blue dumbo too....it looks a little manly to me o.o, though I haven't seen too many dumbo females)to make sure, just in case. ;)

And what was your PH? Bettas can generally adapt to a wide rage of PH's, they're very hardy little guys, so using some kind of unnatural product to mess with the PH is mostly unnecessary and can often cause PH swings, which can be much more stressful and dangerous then a slightly high stable PH.

Otherwise....looks amazing! Can't wait to see it all once the plants have grown in and filled things up! NPTs are so lovely! <3[/quote]

I actually removed all of my fake plants that were in the tank (they looked stupid compared to the real stuff)... I have a 10-gallon tank full of real plants to add. Every time I start a planting session, it seems to upset the fish & stir up the soil. I wanted a clear sightline for me to observe the fish in these early days. Plus, I wanted to see if they'd actually use their "Princess castle" (they do!). I have to set up my male ee's new 5-gallon; I'll decide who gets what plant where. You may be right about my "possible males". Who knows?? I will watch them closely. I was sold the CT as a "fancy" female. As for the ee's- I didn't think the ladies' fins were that long. Hmmm- well, I have no life, so I will spend the weekend watching how things develop.

Last edited by Xaltd1; 01-10-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

Sorry, my Ph was over 8.0- I didn't do the high end test- just threw the pillow in there. I'll have to find a more permanent solution. I have some pretty self-collected rhyollite from Kilbourne Hole, NM- I've heard that will lower the Ph.

(My main obsession is mineral collecting. Lots of us Boston Mineral Club members have fish tanks b/c we gather so much cool fish tank decor!)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #8 
DragonFish

Oh I know what you mean...a lot of fake plans in comparison do look a little silly and out of place in an NPT....I just meant that as a temporary thing until the plants fill in more they might offer some more cover while the girls sort out their pecking order so that the line of site is broken up some more.
Also if you really don't want to disturbed the substrate and would rather not use any fake plants again, you could always just toss in some more fluffy floating-type plants as well like Hornwart and such.

If you could get some closer up pictures/videos of the two(that blue/MG and the Blue EE....the white EE looks feminine to me, its just those too seemed a little too manly IMO), I could probably tell you if they're male or not. Hold up a little mirror if you can too, to see how they react and get a good look at their beards/ventrals.
If they are males, they're definitely not young males....they're pretty big looking...and you are going to need to remove them before you end up with a disaster. So its really something you want to look very closely at, get on top of, and catch early before things have a chance to go south and crash your Sorority which would be very bad.

Honestly, unless you're PH us really up there closer to like 9.....I wouldn't try and mess with it. The harder your water is, the less effective even natural ways like IAL or driftwood Tannins would be....they might not even make a dent it in. I'm not sure about the artificial PH lowering chemicals changing it much either....but with the fluctuations they can cause even if they do its not worth the hassle.
I'm not sure about rhyollite lowering PH's in the aquarium, I've never heard of that method before....but if it does basically the same thing as tannins would, it might not make any sort of dent either.

On another note, thats pretty cool. xD Not that I ever knew what they really were, but when I lived out in the woods in WA I used to collect all sorts of rocks on my property to use in my aquariums; stacking them as caves, using them to prop up driftwood and other decor....the right ones really make some awesome free decor!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #9 
bethyMT

Great looking tank! You have some lovely girls in there...isn't aquabid wonderful? The little girl I sent you has been totally stood up by her new sorority sisters! She's all hanging out in the background. Oh well, somebody's gotta be the not-breathtaking girl.

Also, my pH is high too...a solid 8, no matter what I do. All my fish are completely fine. And as for rhyolite....I don't know how much difference that would make, as it's a jasper and it's very hard. Very little would leach.
I love love love rocks too.

If you are diligent about water changes, your pH is going to naturally match your tap water, pretty much no matter what you do. It's really fine.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #10 
carbonxxkidd

+1 to DragonFish!

The pH in all my tanks is around 8.0 or higher and my fish are just fine. :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote