Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

This type of intimidation is similar to the billboards warning of the (incorrect) requirement of voter ID erected in minority neighborhoods during this past election season.

While there are plenty of examples of racism extant in our culture, institutional racism is under legal fire from alert civil-rights attorneys everywhere. A phone call to one of them beats wire-cutters any day.

Update: Those signs were removed several days ago according to dailykos.com, snopes.com and the delawareliberal.com. The chickenscratch racists will keep trying, though. Stay alert.

Last edited by Hallyx; 01-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #12 
Bluewind

I'm not so calm and I'm a handfull when I'm mad. Like when I got Gus from WalMart. I raised so much cane over their Betta treatment that I got Gus for free as well as a $20 WalMart card, a personal appology from one of the corporate big wigs, and I saw the district manager there doing an inspection THE NEXT DAY! I saw him once a week at least for a month and one guy that was even higher than him! When I happen to walk by shopping (I honestly didn't notice them until I heard them talking) I heard them discussing MY PHONECALL! Lots of people got in trouble over it all the way up to the store manager which made me feel half bad and half proud.

I also had a friend who had a problem with a jewelery refund and a credit card company. By the time I was done, I had the store manager, jewelery's corporate tresurer, and the credit card's assisstant manager on a confrance call! Got him his refund I'll tell ya that much!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #13 
thekinetic

You know this really gets my goat, not the fact that this sign exists but people are so quick to get rid of it but not to get rid of affirmative action which is racist and sexist against white men!

I'll just leave yall with that, I'm coming back to check. I'm not racist but offended at the double standard in the country!>:(

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-11-2013 at 06:48 PM.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #14 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
You know this really gets my goat, not the fact that this sign exists but people are so quick to get rid of it but not to get rid of affirmative action which is racist and sexist against white men!

I'll just leave yall with that, I'm coming back to check. I'm not racist but offended at the double standard in the country!>:(
that's discrimination, not racism or sexism. to qualify as an -ism, it needs to exist on a MUCH deeper level, both institutionally and culturally. these are technical definitions, and i know that the terms "racism" and "sexism" are used colloquially to refer to both degrees, but in a true sense, an -ism can only exist from a party in power to an oppressed group. (now if you lived in, say, Mexico or Kenya, and were institutionally discriminated against for the color of your skin, THAT would be racism. living in a white-dominated area, however, that is highly unlikely to happen, hence the difference between racism and simple discrimination.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-11-2013 at 06:48 PM.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've shared this before but I'll share it again. Back last May we had a friend from Colorado here doing some painting. He's Mexican American. People here are so prejudiced! He was questioned by a nosey neighbor when he went out to get our paper. Then he went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch a basketball game and they wouldn't serve him! They walked right by him and ignored him. Then he went to Old Chicago and got the same treatment. He had no clue what was going on and when we told him it was because he was Mexican he was shocked. Kentucky is a very prejudiced state.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #16 
babystarz

Ugh that is crazy. I like to think that these incidents are the death throes of racism in our country, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #17 
Bluewind

I look white as bread, but I'm more Native American. My ex-supervisor (who was black) was standing around talking about how racist customers could be when I chimed in agreeing with her. She laughed and said that people aren't racist against white, blue-eyed girls! I had her stand within earshot of me during a shift to prove her wrong. She didn't even make it through my whole shift before appologising. The double standards here are crazy!

Another -ist (or discrimination. I'm unsure which) is that against someone for the area which they live. I don't mean against a class, but people from a certain country or state. I can't tell you how often people hear my southern accent or discover that I'm from Arkansas and proceed to pummel me with insults and sterotypes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know this makes me sound like I have a chip on my shoulder but I think that part of the reason I have no friends here is because of my Spanish last name.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #19 
MollyJean

I see a chip, Drama. :)

But really, it looks like an error more then an agenda. Seeing as the other signs have the words in English and Spanish. I guess I'm not as quick to jump to conclusions as some people. And I just don't know all the facts to decide "THIS IS WRONG" so fast. If I'm right, it's a school playground, right? Restricting access to school grounds seems prudent... if a person really just wants to take their kid to the park, getting permission shouldn't be a big deal. I wish they did this in my town. The school playgrounds are simply off limits. I'd happily get a permit if it was that easy.

What if it where a private park? If I owned a swing set and didn't want red heads playing on it, well that's my right. Yeah, I might look like a real jerk, but it is my right. But as I said, no enough facts. Sorry.

Drama I don't think anyone hates you, and had no idea what your last name was.. though I always thought it was 'Queen'.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #20 
DiiQue

Even with instances like these here and there, I still believe we live in the greatest and most free nation on the planet... I've been to countries where gun laws were so strict, that it was illegal to buy paintball guns... Been to places where a woman was buried with only her head sticking out of the ground and males would get to throw rocks at her until she died... All because she went on a date (and got caught). Her date, was given a slap on the wrist... I've been to a place where rich kids drive like maniacs and when they slammed their car at a foreigner's car, it was the foreigner's fault (even though the foreigner stopped because of a red light) all because "if the foreigner did not enter their country, they never would have gotten into that accident."

So yeah, I'm ashamed when I read about cases like this, but there are far worst places to be. :)
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote