Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 
Julio1983

Upgrading my bettas house

Hi everyone :)

I have plans to re-house my betta this week and i was wondering what the best way to do so is?

He is going from a 3.4 litre to a 15
Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Is the 15g going to be fully cycled before you add him? When I move mine around I just cup him or her, float the container I. The new tank, add a tablespoon of tank water, do this every 15 minutes for an hour or more & then release.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Once you have his new tank set up rehoming him is easy. First ensure that the PH and Temperature of his new tank matches that of the tank that he is currently in. Simply put him in a plastic bag (fish safe) with some water from his current tank and float him in the bag in his new tank. Add some of the new tanks water to his bag and leave him for 10 minutes and then add some more and continue to do so until he has at least 50% new water in his bag then you can just pour him in. Adding small amounts of water at regular intevals allows him adjust to his new water to prevent shock.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #4 
Julio1983

Great help guys thanks :)
Ill do this on tues when I do his 100% water change.

About the water change, I'm in the middle of doing his 50% tonight (last one was Tuesday night) and I've noticed it's really stressed him. He is a bit grey under his "chin" I guess u could call it. He's been like that since we got him, we put it down to stress from being moved etc, however I feel like the grey has spread a bit to his "chest" area.

What can I do to lessen his stress?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you sure its stress & not just his coloring? Can you post a pic? Once he's in the 15g you won't have to remove him so it should be less stressful.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #6 
Kim

Have you checked the ammonia levels in the tank? 3.4 liters is a bit less than one gallon of water, and ammonia can build up quite quickly in tanks that size. Also, is the water currently heated?

If you check the water quality and find nothing wrong, it could just be the frequent water changes that are stressing him out. Since your new tank is 15 liters, or approx. 4 gallons, you could potentially cycle it (I strongly recommend fishless cycling), which would allow you to cut back to only one partial water change per week.

Good luck with the upgrade :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 
Julio1983

How can I post a pic on this forum? Sorry I'm new :)
It could be his colouring since I'm sure he has been that way since we got him.
Unfortunately I haven't checked his levels. I haven't been able to make it to the local aquarium. His tank does have a heater the temp normally sits between 24-26 degrees.

I will have to do some research on cycling I'm not 100% confident I know enough about it.
He definately doesn't like the water changes though. I think he gets mad at me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #8 
Julio1983

How can I post a pic on this forum? Sorry I'm new :)
It could be his colouring since I'm sure he has been that way since we got him.
Unfortunately I haven't checked his levels. I haven't been able to make it to the local aquarium. His tank does have a heater the temp normally sits between 24-26 degrees.

I will have to do some research on cycling I'm not 100% confident I know enough about it.
He definately doesn't like the water changes though. I think he gets mad at me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #9 
Julio1983

Ok here is a pic of his grey
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #10 
chardzard

ok he dont look stress love that red tho i dont have any red like that as yet but he look ok just set up the new tank follow wat the other guys told u to do n he be fine try to get hime to flear about 2-3 days after u put him in n see wat he do, oh 1 other thing if ur goin to add any snails make sure the r safe first some snails carry some lil nasty with them ok just in case u want to add 1 so enjoy
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote