Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #11 
Bluewind

Back to massive questions!

3. With a new fish, you need to have his tank ready and waiting with nice, clean, warm water. You will get your betta in a cup, so this is perfect to float in a tank. Fill up the tank a little more than you need to and turn the filter off so that Mr.Betta wont be swirling around everywhere. After he has floated a few minutes, take a turkey baster (bought specifically for your tank. It comes in handy. Trust me!) and use it to take a bit out water out of his cup (don't put it in your tank! dump it). Then, put some of his new tank water in the cup. This gets him use to the chemistry and temp of his new water so that he wont be shocked. Do this every few minutes until you feel most of his water is tank water and let him loose in his new home. Don't forget to top off the tank and turn the filter back on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #12 
Bluewind

4. That is again why the turkey baster is so important. It's like a spot vac. You do the bulk of your gravel cleaning with the gravel vac, but around plants and decor, use the baster. It's also good for sucking up food that your betta will miss which will keep the tank cleaner.

5. I do in fact have 2 buckets because I have found it works MUCH better and smoother than way. I turn off my filter as the lowered water will increase the current. I go in the kitchen and fill up my 1st bucket with clean water and add the needed treatment. I take the thermometer out of my tank and put it in my bucket to make sure it is about the same temp. I then toat the water in my room, grab my mixing bowl (perfect shape for scooping and pouring), and start tanking old water out of the tank and dumping it in the dirty bucket. When I get enough out, I start dipping my bowl in the clean bucket and pouring the fresh water in my tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #13 
Bluewind

...5. I have found that pouring the fresh water in the back of the filter cuts way down on the rip-tide effect that just dumping it in there causes. When you get the fresh water bucket low enough, you can pick it up and pour it in. I actually do 3 pwc a week like this and it doesn't stress my betta out a bit

6. Not unless it it literally falling apart. It is just there to hold bacteria.

7. The only time you change out or completely gravel established is when you...
a) Get a new fish/invert that needs sand
b) a disease has gotten in the tank
c) the paint has warn off

Now when it comes to new gravel, you have no idea what it was shipped with and what it was exposed to, so stick it in a strainer and wash it like you have OCD! In fact, treat everything you put in your tank like that.

8. New orniments should be rinsed with hot water several times. I even soak mine in a weak vinager solution and rinse some more, but that's just me overdoing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #14 
Bluewind

...8. Now, once the orniment is in the tank, no hot water! This isn't just for the bacteria, but because of the stuff in your untreated water that you don't want in your tank. If you want it to stay looking pretty, buy a cheap toothbrush, take it out when it looks icky, and scrub a bit with the toothbrush. Also, I have never used those magnet things. I always just grab a papertowel and wipe down the glass when I notice it needs it.

Also, I really do recomend getting a snail or a few shrimp at the same time as your Betta so that he will be okay with cleaners in his tank. My Mystery Snails do an AMAZING job at cleaning everything (save brown algea).

9. Depends on the treatment and see previous.

10. I gravel vac like I vacume my carpet. In sectors. Back and forth. I quit when I feel I have sucked up the majority of the dirty stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #15 
Bluewind

11. Bubble Nests are when a male blows bubbles at the top of the water to make kind of a foamy spot when he can place his future children. If a male is mature and happy, he will do this.
Flaring is when a Betta is trying to look macho or show their ego, domanance, or health. They spread out their many fins to look bigger and stick out their gills! It's cute and a funny sight. Males will do this a lot if they see another male (or what they think is another male but is actually just their reflection ) or a cute female.

There are many ways to play with a Betta. They can be trained to follow your finger, jump for food,
or swim through hoops. Some enjoy swimming through mazes (like those made for a hampster), bumping pingpong balls, or rolling around Marimo Balls. My friend once had one that interacted with her cat! There are lots of things you can do
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #16 
Bluewind

12. Good job going for the adjustable heater. I learned that lesson the hard way!

You have a SaltWater kit for your test kit btw. You need freshwater for a betta. To get it the cheapest, go to Amazon. You will only pay $20 there.

If you will just have the hose to clean the gravel, I would suggest that you google DIY gravel vac to learn how to make one that will make cleaning a little less of a pain.

You have aquarium salt and that's enough for now. Salt in a freshwater tank is strictly for treating illnesses. Making it an everyday thing can actually kill your fish! Especially Bettas and Snails. At best, it does some crazy stuff to your pH. Salt is good to clean new decor before you throw it in the new tank though.

13. Nets are handy when you need them

14. See previous for details. I take out 2 gallons per pwc 3x per week (2x off the top and 1x gravel vac) for a total of 6 gallons per week and my 10 gallon does fine and my fish don't get stressed
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #17 
aemaki09

With freeze dried, just let them soak in water for like 5 minutes before you feed them. This is so they absorb moisture and your betta is less likely to become bloated.
They aren't BAD they just aren't the best choice, the freeze dry process makes them lose a lot of their nutritional content
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #18 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
With freeze dried, just let them soak in water for like 5 minutes before you feed them. This is so they absorb moisture and your betta is less likely to become bloated.
They aren't BAD they just aren't the best choice, the freeze dry process makes them lose a lot of their nutritional content
Very true. When it comes to fishfood, frozen is better than dry and fresh is better than frozen (most of the time). However, you just have to weigh in on what kind of pet owner you are. My dog and cat eat very high quality kibble with good nutrition and ingrediants. I love my pets, but I can't spend the extra money on frozen/refregerated or fresh foods and even if I could, where would I put it all? Plus, all those extra trips uptown! Now would I feed my babies the cheapest stuff they make? Heck NO! That stuff is 9/10ths fillers and the nutritional equivalant of a bar of soap! That's why I pay a little extra for the good ingrediants.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #19 
KCalNeon

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to answer. It really means a lot. :)*

Of course, more questions 0_0

Will you have to change the filter or gravel completely in a Betta's life time? If so, how do you bring back the beneficial bacteria? Same thing with the 100% water changes that needs to be done when you're Betta is sick.. How are you supposed to keep the full changes 'Betta friendly' ?*

How often do you test the water levels? And is it best to test before or after water charges? Should you do a water change when you're Betta is awake or asleep?*

Say you do a weekly water change... You vacuum out the necessary amount of water, fill your bucket with conditioner and tap water, and slowly add it to the tank. After adding the water, you test the water and your results are good. Everything is the amount it's supposed to be. Does that mean you still have to test your tap water or worry about it being not safe or is your tap water considered safe if the levels are ok?*

Is filter floss necessary? I don't see it mentioned in the list of things that you'll need for a Betta. The plants, gravel, and top of the tank already have the BB established.. But then again, maybe FF will be good sense I don't have live plants. Is filter floss really necessary?*

I'm confused about algae? A lot of people say that it's a good thing, and other completely remove it. Is there a thread about algae anywhere?*

Sadly the only treats i'm able to get are freeze dried. My parents said no live or frozen food in the house. But I am allowed to buy freeze dried. I'll be sure to soak it in water for a bit before feeding. I am aware that freeze dried isn't the best option, but with a good pellet brand like New life... Will it be ok? Thawed freeze dried brine shrimp, and worms is what I'll offer. Also, when giving your 'treats' once a week, can you give them at different times throughout the day when you're Betta is awake? It doesn't have to be all at once? I think this would be a good way to bond too.*

I might consider getting a Mystery snail with my Betta. The tank will be a 5 gallon due to the lack of room in my bedroom. What other things will I have to do to care for the Mystery snail? What do they eat?*

Well that's it for now. I'm gonna try to finish reading and re-reading all of the stickys and some topics around the different boards so some of my other questions will be answered.*

Is it ok that I'm asking this much? I feel like a bother. :{
KCalNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #20 
Bluewind

Lots of questions are fine hun. Best to be well informed I say

Now, changing out gravel is a personal choice that is usually only done for astetics or to add something finer for plants or digging tankmates like Corys. If you change out the substrate, bacteria should still be on the decor and everything else, so you can't change out everything in the tank at once, or you will be starting your cycle over.

Honestly, we don't do 100% pwc. More like 90%. You have to keep the substrate, decor, and filter media wet to keep the bacteria from dying and a major chem or temp change will shock your fish! And then theirs cuping and floating the fish. Truthfully, I never do a pwc over 50% because larger ones are just a pain. 3x 50% pwc a week should be plenty. Try to do it a while after a meal so you wont stress them after they eat. I feed in the morning and pwc in the afternoon or evening myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-12-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Tags
new betta, water changes