Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #21 
Bluewind

When you 1st get that fish in there, that liquid test kit will be your best friend! Once you have the levels good, you can test once a week, but those first few weeks, don't be surprised if you do it almost daily! It's normal. That's why we all love the liquid test kits so much. It's not just accuracy, but how cheap it is to use as much as we need it!

Tap water should only be tested once to find your perimeters or anytime you suspect there is something wrong with it (like getting an amonia spike out of nowhere).

Feed at the same time every day and the same number of times. The rest is up to you.

Snails eat algea waffers and/or sinking pellets. I alternate between the 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-12-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #22 
KCalNeon

you're not supposed to wash anything that has to due with your betta with soap and water right?
But what about storage containers that will hold your betta's food? If it was used for something like my hamsters food can you wash it with warm soap and water before putting in the betta food? or is warm water and vinegar good for things like that?

Are you supposed to cup or net your betta when you take them out? When is it necessary to take out a betta from their tank?

People have been saying that when doing a water change, the new water you put in should be the same temp. as the water inside of the tank.. how do you make sure of that? Would just slowly accumulating the new water into the tank after a water change be fine?

Is variety best for a betta diet? Some people use a variety, but are 4 New life pellets, and freeze dried blood worms/ brine shrimp once a week a good diet? (Im not allowed to buy frozen or live)

what do people mean by 'I just bought more carbon' lol you buy carbon?

Last edited by KCalNeon; 01-16-2013 at 12:39 AM.
KCalNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #23 
Bluewind

Soap leaves a resedue. Even with humans, if you wash dishes and don't rinse well enough, you get sick and have diarrhea! Imagine the impact it has on a little fish! Use white vinager and warm/hot water to clean. It will disinfect and not hurt the fish.

I usually used my net to chase him into a cup if that makes sense. Take them out for substrate changes, massive water changes (under 3-4 inches of water), or introdusing new stock to their new environment (either putting him in a new tank or others in his tank). You can avoid the pwc cuping by just doing several smaller pwc a week. I do 3x50% and my small one does fine.

To get the new water to be about tank temp takes practice and a termometer. I can get the water very close by feel now, but I also use a mercurey tank termometer to test the temp before I pour it in. I like that one because it floats so I can just pull it out of my tank and throw it in my bucket!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #24 
Bluewind

DP

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #25 
Bluewind

When you put in fresh water, try to guard against currents which stur up substrate and stress the fish. Put water in carefully either pouring it in slow with a cup against the wall or in the filter (depends on filter!).

Diet depends on the fish. A good pellet for 5 days of the week and freeze-dried bloodworm (or the like) on 1 day of the week is just fine. Just soak the freeze-dried food to keep from causing tummy trouble. Having a good flake on hand might be a good idea just in case you have a picky eater or a little one that can't fit a pellet in his/her mouth! Flakes are cheap, so it shouldn't hurt your budget.

Don't concentrate on the amount that everyone else feeds THEIR fish. Every fish is different. My little Cami eats 1 pellet a day while Gus eats 7! Just remember to only feed them when they are hungry (they may spit out new food the first few times they get it while they assess it, but after the 3rd time they've had it, they should attack it),
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #26 
KCalNeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
When you put in fresh water, try to guard against currents which stur up substrate and stress the fish. Put water in carefully either pouring it in slow with a cup against the wall or in the filter (depends on filter!).

Diet depends on the fish. A good pellet for 5 days of the week and freeze-dried bloodworm (or the like) on 1 day of the week is just fine. Having a good flake on hand might be a good idea just in case you have a picky eater or a little one that can't fit a pellet in his/her mouth! Flakes are cheap, so it shouldn't hurt your budget.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks so much for your help Bluewind! I really appreciate the time you take to answer my questions. :)

I looked through some pinned topics and answered some of my own questions, lol.

At this point I have a basic idea of what fish keeping is, and I know most of the new 'terms'. By the way.. do we have a topic about new fish terms like cycling, ammonia, Epsom salt, all those terms? If we don't, I highly suggest putting one together! I think it would be very useful to new fish owners who don't have a clue about fish (like me :P)

Oh! and is it necessary to keep a snail or something with you're betta? Like it doesn't affect quality of life?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #27 
Bluewind

, only feed them 1-3 pellets at a time (depending on their size. You don't want to overstretch that tummy!), feed about the same time every day, and watch for bloating or a "sunk in" look.

The carbon is what is in your filter. Some filters have places where you directly add carbon while others have a cartrage that you replace.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #28 
Bluewind

lol! I'm glad I could help hun. I gotta say that I love your enthusiasum and I hope it never goes away

As far as all the terms, I have yet to really find a place myself! I had to ask, google, or guess when I first started out. I know that it can be confusing sometimes

You need at LEAST a 5 gallon to have shrimp or snails. They are good little cleaners, butif you get an agressive betta, he or she might see them as a snack! Bettas can pester snails, but they are okay for the most part. Shrimp can be if a betta is fed properly and non-agressive. They can be just fine on their own as long as you have a well decorated tank to keep them engaged and goof around with them a bit.

Btw, what is you hardness and pH? You can go by your local fish store with water and they will test it for free! Also, what do your parents think about adding a plant or 2?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #29 
KCalNeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
lol! I'm glad I could help hun. I gotta say that I love your enthusiasum and I hope it never goes away

As far as all the terms, I have yet to really find a place myself! I had to ask, google, or guess when I first started out. I know that it can be confusing sometimes

You need at LEAST a 5 gallon to have shrimp or snails. They are good little cleaners, butif you get an agressive betta, he or she might see them as a snack! Bettas can pester snails, but they are okay for the most part. Shrimp can be if a betta is fed properly and non-agressive. They can be just fine on their own as long as you have a well decorated tank to keep them engaged and goof around with them a bit.

Btw, what is you hardness and pH? You can go by your local fish store with water and they will test it for free! Also, what do your parents think about adding a plant or 2?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmmm.. I have yet to test my water because I'm actually not getting a fish yet. In a few months from now. For my birthday and once my room gets rearranged. And once I research like mad :P I guess I could do live plants but I'm just so overwhelmed with fish keeping right now. Some things are optional, some things aren't. Some people do it, some don't. Fish keeping is totally different from keeping a furry pet. There's still LOADS to learn like diet and such but the water, and temperatures don't have to be perfect. Its a weird transition you know? I'm still relatively new and I know as I read and read and look around the forum for a couple months, and get my first Betta, I'll 'get it' and understand how everything goes together. That's exactly what happened with my hamster! I joined a forum and read up, looked around for months, asked loads of questions, and eventually I got used to the forum and it all clicked. Then I got my first hamster (every pet is indeed different and you can't really go by what others say other than the basic facts and care. It's what works for you and you're pet. ) and everything's great!

lol I'm a bit tired now. Time to go to bed and come back tomorrow! My brain has had enough for today
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #30 
Bluewind

Well go unfry your brain hun!

Your water chemistry straight out of the tap is very important because it will let us know if you can have snails or shrimp and what kind of plants you can have. And when it comes to plants, there are easy ones and hard ones. Marimo Balls are simple plants that are kind of like a sponge. Anubias is slow growing and easy care. Water Sprite is eatable and works tied down or floating. Java Moss grows like crazy and you can scoop some out and toss it if need be. All of these are easy care level plants. All they need to grow is a good light (10w cool cfl work well) and one weekly fertalizer (which is not bad nasty stuff. it's just what the plants can't get from the fish poop ). Some of those bulbs you can buy just about anywhere also grow fast and I've had pretty good luck with them.

Also, if you get the 10 gallon, the shrimp and snails should be fine. Shrimp have a very low bioload, so you could put like 20 in it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Tags
new betta, water changes