Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #1 
SomethingWitty

Talking How did your Betta get his/her name?

I figured this could be a fun discussion!
Sorry if a thread like this exists already.

Well my late Betta's name actually came from my 2 year old.
I had named him Moby, and she kept saying Murphy regardless of how many times I corrected her.
So we stuck with Murphy.
:)
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #2 
eatmice2010

lol I named July because of his colors, also he reminded me of a guy i i seen on an anime. And when i said his name he came to me- but he always comes to me when im in the room lol
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #3 
Vizja13

In order...

Cap: He was originally named Draco, since I love Harry Potter, and it means Dragon in Latin. But my friend (both of us are obsessed with Marvel's comics and movies) insisted on calling him Cap since he's red white and blue. And now his name is Cap.

Rory: He's a reddish purple, reminded me of Rory the Roman from Doctor Who. My friend owns his brother Dionysus.

Sexy: Shes a white and blue marble. Named after the TARDIS coming to life in The Doctor's Wife.

Alexei: I just got this guy last night. He LOOKS like he will color in to a black betta with red accents on his fins. So my mind immediately jumped to Black Widow, but since he's male, I named him after the Widow's ex-husband (and the Red Gaurdian) Alexei Shostakov.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #4 
SomethingWitty

Those are all pretty cool names!

I am going back to PetSmart to adopt a purple and red crowntail today!
I'm going to name him Amephyre (am-if-er-ee). I came up with this name because he looks like the color of amethyst and fire, so I just combined those words.
:) What do ya think?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #5 
InfiniteGlory

My daugher, then 4 years old, wanted a pet so we started off on goldfish. After a few returns my wife and daughter came back with a Betta. the goldfish's names were Freedom and Glory. So we kept the name Glory for the betta starting in 2010

He passed in December 2012 and we picked up Glory II on 12/31/12. So he is the newest member and the reason for my name here. It seems that we may be in a long line of keeping the Glory name and just incrementing the number.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #6 
Laki

Aw, god love little children's pronunciations! I love the name Amephyre! So nice!
Bowser; for Nintendo. He's such a bright red with sharp blue contrast (avatar) that I felt it fit.
Ludendorff; > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Ludendorff Because I am a ww1 geek. Ludendorff was a fierce man, believed in war and hated to see the war end. I thought this was a unique name to fit a betta.

Turns out though, Bowser has more of a fighting drive in him though! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #7 
Rosso1011

Five of my Bettas got their names from their colors. Rosso is an Italian male name for Red, Aurora because she has very vibrant colors, Akane is Japanese for deep red and the name of a anime character (got it off a link that someone posted, Thanks!), Princess Peach who was almost pinkish in her color, then Princess Daisy who is orange. You can also say that 3 of those names were inspired by either a video game or anime that I liked.

Poseidon was named after the Greek God of the Sea. Finally, Big Momma originally had a color based name but I didn't feel it fit her. She just looked like a Big Momma. Don't ask me to explain how she looks like a Big Momma, she just does.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 
cxjtc

I got Shark as a baby with no distinguishable color, tail, or gender. For a while I called her Fish because I couldnt think of a name. I switched to Shark because I wanted her to have a god complex
cxjtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #9 
SomethingWitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I love the name Amephyre! So nice!...
Bowser; for Nintendo ... Ludendorff ... Because I am a ww1 geek.
Thanks! I like those names, very original!
Infact, I thought all of these names were pretty cool. :)
I'm sure this thread, if it gets bigger, will help give alot of people ideas of HOW to name their bettas!

Last edited by SomethingWitty; 01-11-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #10 
Fishybitty

My first male betta was named, Fred the Firecracker because he was such a gorgeous red!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote