Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #1 
Bluewind

Is the Metallic Gene Dominant or Recessive?

I have found this color to be very interesting thanks to my Betta and I was wondering if it was Dominant or Recessive and what the likelihood is of passing it on. Gus is about 9 months old, so I most likely will not be able to breed him, but in the future I might want to breed a similar male and I want to figure out a good paring. Gus himself is a Cherry Metallic Veiltail with the metallic showing up as Royal Blue to Aqua.

I am facinated by how his color changes depending on his angle and I think I could sell Bettas in my small town with such colorations. Mind you that most people here aren't fishkeepers like us, so "show quality Bettas" is not something in their vocabulary. At least I could give WalMart a run for its money! Their shelves stay empty because no one else here sells Bettas and they are in pitiful shape because they don't care
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #2 
babystarz

I believe red VT's always pass on that metallic/iridescent scalloping, it's impossible so far to breed reds without it. Of course the coloration of the female and grandparents play a factor too.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

What ever the theory says, IME it's a 50 - 50 chance. It depends on how strong the metallic genes are in the individual. Eg; a metallic from a metallic x regular cross if crossed to regular will mainly produce regulars. If both have strong genetic background, you'd probably get 50 - 50. It also depends on the metallic color. Eg. Copper (metallic; genetically = steel blue + metallic genes) x green/turquoise = mainly green/turquoise, some metallic green, few steel blue (mainly regular), some copper.

If you're aiming to produce mainly metallics, you need to breed back to the metallic parent or cross to another metallic color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

It's 50/50 IME as well. Most of my older lines had metallic in them and it was as prominent as the solids.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #5 
Bluewind

Thanks everyone! If I get a pair that are BOTH metallic, what do you think my chances are of getting a metallic? 100% or is there a chance for recessive?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #6 
MrVampire181

I'd say 75-100% unless their genotypes carry a different dominant gene.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote