Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #1 
tilli94

Miracle gro organic choice potting mix

Hey everyone just wanted to triple check and make sure miracle gro organic choice potting mix would work for my planted tank. If not what else could I use and will it hurt if I put a light layer of gravel over this? Thanks everyone!
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #2 
FishKarl

Won't hurt to cap it with gravel unless you oddly put too much. I have yet to do an npt as I am going to move across multiple states but I am going to use that soil albeit I'll be adding red clay. Recommend that you should hear another's thought on it first though.
FishKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #3 
tilli94

Ok thanks I'm intending to pick some up later today if it isn't the right thing ill just use that in my garden in a few months :D
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #4 
Nothingness

thats what I used and capped it with play sand.....so far so good. Just make sure to sift the soil first as I pulled out atleast 1.5lbs of sticks and other large debris
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli94 View Post
Hey everyone just wanted to triple check and make sure miracle gro organic choice potting mix would work for my planted tank. If not what else could I use and will it hurt if I put a light layer of gravel over this? Thanks everyone!
Miracle grow organic potting SOIL, not MIX.
The one you want comes in orange colored bag.
The potting MIX conatains some organic's (possibly chicken manure ) which could elevate ammonia and light,plus ammonia = algae.
The MGO potting soil is just soil with some peat,and small pieces of wood that you may wish to sift out.
I might check the ingrdient's of both but i am near certain that the soil as opposed to the mix is what most use.(I did).

After quick google,,It is the orange bag ,not the green one you want.
Could not find photo of bag that say's soil ,,but I remember being warned about the green bag ,so I went with the orange bag.

Last edited by 1077; 01-11-2013 at 08:10 AM.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #6 
fish monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
The potting MIX conatains some organic's (possibly chicken manure ) which could elevate ammonia and light,plus ammonia = algae.
The MGO potting soil is just soil with some peat,and small pieces of wood that you may wish to sift out.
I might check the ingrdient's of both but i am near certain that the soil as opposed to the mix is what most use.(I did).

Could not find photo of bag that say's soil ,,but I remember being warned about the green bag ,so I went with the orange bag.
Thanks for the heads up on the mix vs soil. I'm sure that I would have picked the mix if it wasn't for your advice. No plans to try in the near future but something I'm interested in trying at some point for a plant only set up.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #7 
tilli94

Ok I'll make sure I double check ingredients. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #8 
BWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post

The orange bag is the Mix. It's the one that should be used. Right color bag, you just mixed up which was which. The soil is in the green bag and contains I believe cow manure.
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #9 
eatmice2010

eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #10 
BWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
None of the above. It's Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix. That's the one in the orange bag.
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote