Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #1 
Bluewind

How to choose a female?

On Saturday, I will be getting my very 1st female Betta. She will be a gift from a friend. It was meant to be a surprise, but now I get to pick her out myself! All the research I have done is on males, so females are something I am clueless about! So I have a few questions.

1. How can I figure out their tail types? I know I don't like DT or CT on a female, but the others look about the same.
2. I want a metallic (if I'm lucky). What are some good base colors to go with that? Also, if I can't get a metallic, what are some types I might like?
3. Can I temporarily house her in my 2 gallon if I do plenty of pwc? I will be getting a larger tank after I move in a few months.
4. I want to have a sororiety once I get a bigger tank. Will it be hard to mix her and new girls once I take her out of the 2 gallon and put her in a 10-20 with other girls?
5. I want to possibly try my hand at breeding her down the line and would like to know more about colors and genes
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-11-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #2 
aemaki09

1. Look to see if there is a slope on the anal, if its extreme then its a VT (you can also tell by looking for a slope on the caudal. -- with det, HM, HMPK, and PK, you'll have to look at ray branching and width of tail span, which makes it hard.
2. What do you mean by base colors?
3. a 2 gallon is perfectly fine, just make sure its heated.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #3 
Bluewind

Yes, it will be heated. Metallics (like my little Gus) change color depending on the light. Gus has a base color of Cherry, but the metallic shine (not sure of the proper term for it) he has shows up Royal Blue to Aqua. It covers his entire body from his nose to the tips of his fins. It's not as prominant at the tips of his fins as his body, but it's stil there. He's like a moving rainbow.

Did you see the other questions I added?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #4 
Bluewind

Well, I will be headed to town later this afternoon to pick out my female! Still looking for information and advice. Also, I have another thread out there asking for info on good ferts. You can post here, post there, or PM me. Wish me luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #5 
Bluewind

Well, I got my little girl. Her name is Cami. I got her because I liked her and she liked me. Nothing else. She is a bit reflective. Her body is blond (and I think with a few spots) and her fins are orange. Go by and check her out in my album! I would LOVE to know what her tail type is.
Posted via Mobile Device