Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #1 
twolovers101

My Obsession

I'm starting anew with this journal thing... my other one... well... let's just forget that happened okay? xD

So as many of you know I have a new buddy, his name is Shosta, Shostakovich. He's my first PK and is very endearing... except when he's being insane...

I've discovered that I can't put ANY sort of background on the tank he's in... *sigh* the silly creature flares at it and just won't stop. I think it may have something to do with his reflection, but oh well... I'll just have to be content with staring at my wall through the tank until the wisteria grows in more. *le sigh*

I've started writing a new book... I would post some of it here... but well... for such a happy go lucky type person, the majority of my novels are quite dark.... there's ONE I could post snipits of if I can find it... I know it's in this apartment somewhere... lol

Err... anything else??

I'm OBSESSED with Shosta right now, he's so pretty....
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 
twolovers101

Cool The Fish With Issues

Shosta, Shosta, Shosta

This fish has PROBLEMS! I think he must be skitzo or something... at first his aggression towards black objects was cute, funny really. He and my fiance even got into a game of hide and seek with it today... involving the laptop... Basically, Shosta saw the BLACK laptop and was flaring like mad at it, so my fiance put something in between the tank and the laptop, logical right? Well the crazy fish swims around the tank until he can see the laptop again and starts flaring at it, so the fiance moves the item blocking Shosta's view and the game continues.

I saw this happen first hand today when I was sitting at my desk, maybe a foot away from Shosta's tank, surfing the interwebs on good ole lappy and the little fellow is patrolling his tank, sees that I have a black object, swims up to the front of the tank, flares at it for a moment, and then goes back to doing whatever he was doing. (This went on for about 30 minutes or so) UNTIL he completely SPAZZED on me out of the blue and ROCKETED around the tank.

Up until today he's had no problems what-so-ever and is in good fishy health, showing no signs of stress, external parasites, or what have you. Scared the living you-know-what out of me. So I move the computer, to where he can't see it so well, and go look to get a closer look at the little freak to make sure he wasn't sick or injured and oddly enough he had CLAMPED his left pectoral fin. That particular fin only. So I had a panic moment and checked him out and got the all clear, nothing wrong. He swam around for about 10 minutes like that, just holding that left fin close to his side. I even gave him his evening meal and he gobbled that up. Once I saw that there were no problems with his fin I calmed down a bit. Lol.

So he's back to swimming around being his happy fishy self, left pec. unclamped and doing his little dance for me. It's like he ENJOYED terrifying me!! This guy is just all sorts of weird.

Get this, he even showed off that he was ready to mate by, wait for it... wait for it...

Doing a mock embrace like I was a female betta and he was trying to prove to me that he knew what he was doing

I swear, having him is going to be quite the adventure.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't allow Shosta to see black objects for long periods of time... he'll throw a spazz fit.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #3 
aemaki09

sounds like hes acting a lot like one of my newest plakats, yours just happens to be a teensy bit more insane lol
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #4 
twolovers101

Yeah... it seems that way, he's a teensy bit on the crazy side xD
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #5 
aemaki09

Yeah from what you describe on here it definitely sounds like he is lol! Hopefully it's just a phase and he gets used to it soon! Can you imagine what he would do if you had his walls painted black? Lol
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #6 
twolovers101

Haha! That would have been impossible to deal with. I used to have a black background on the tank, you know, one of those ones you can buy at the store... and he went nutso over it. So I took that one down and thought that if I got one that was a little more busy and could break up the reflection a bit... well... that didn't work either. Lol. Flared at that one too, so now he just has to live with staring at my wall xD
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #7 
aemaki09

None of my tanks have any sort of background except for what I hope to use as a spawn tank if I can ever get it cleaned.
You should take a video of him acting crazy! He sounds so amusing
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #8 
twolovers101

Haha, I'll try to get a vid, might not be able to do it today, very busy this afternoon/evening, and yes, he's very amusing. Last night I swear he knew I was writing about him and swam up to me and just stared.

<(o.o)> like this
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #9 
twolovers101

Shosta... developing new colors?

So today I came home to see that Shosta had developed a green kind of iridescence on his fins... I'm not sure if this is normal or what have you... since he's a copper, and I've only ever seen blue irid. on him.... also, he's still being a tad bit strange about his left pectoral :/ everything else is fine. My mopani has gotten a small bit of fuzz on it, but that's supposed to be normal and should go away in time as it's new to being submerged.

Does he look normal you you people who lurk and don't post here (and the few who do)? I'm afraid he looks a tad clamped... I'm going to do a 50% change tomorrow and see if that perks him up any... heck I need to do the 50 anyway lol too tired to do it tonight.

Video
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Irridescense looks normal...but I'm not sure about the fin..Might just be that he doesnt like to use it or something? He's pretty active so I dont think he's sick in anyway