Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 
itsuki

im worried...betta too hyper??

Hi im new here (1st post ever)

Is my fish freaked out?? I think he's too hyper, over reacting to the new setup?? Is this good?? bad?? normal?? Aren't bettas usually slow moving??

barely getting back into bettas. today marks the 1 week anniversary of me getting my 1st betta in over.......at least 12 yrs(i was a novice back then). here's the situation/details:

new male veiltail betta (Nemo), 10 gallon tank, a bubble filter and light (customized to fit on top of tank, i think the tank is still poorly lit and needs upgrade) from a 2.5 gallon tank. water heater that averages 75 degrees. filled with filtered tap water (please dont complain) very light decor in tank. His general pace in the tank for the past week: slow.

just added last night: water change (with regular tap water, please dont complain) with 75% new water and 1st time using nitrate remover (only 5ml instead of the recommended 10ml,) rocks for decor and hiding spot(collected from outside and washed for about 15 minutes), left it run without fish (i think thats called cycling, trying to learn the lingo), and the addition of 3 oto catfish, he's adjusted to them quickly and doesnt harass them, 1 of them on ocassion follows Nemo around. General pace/swiming last night to new setup: very fast. You can refer to the fish tank pic in my album as reference, the picture was taken late, late last night.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #2 
MollyJean

Betta are not slow moving fish. A healthy betta is active and curious. That being said, if he is brushing up against plants or the glass, he might have a parasite.

There is a list of questions that will help us figure out what's wrong with him, if anything. Don't Panic! Just stay calm, answer the questions the best you can, and if there is something wrong, we'll try to help :)

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Based on what you said already:

the filtered water isn't a good idea, at least in my opinion. use normal tap water with a conditioner to remove and neutralize harmful chemicals and metals.

Anything you pick up from outside needs to be sterilized, not just washed off. There are all kinds of parasites in the world that can live in the tiny cracks in rocks. I would remove these.

Last edited by MollyJean; 01-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Betta fish are quite slow movers in general compared to other fish.
Don't you have water conditioner? Chlorine and other dissolved things in the tap can kill your fish, conditioner is very cheap, too. I think the water should be warmer, up to 78-80 degrees. Cycling will take up to a month or so, so letting the water sit won't really do anything. It's a process for building a colony of 2 special bacteria to eat ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate is the least toxic of the 2, so you don't need the extra chemicals.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #4 
itsuki

thanks for the advice, im here to learn and take better care of my fish

my fish isnt running into things so i doubt parasites, he seems like any other kind of fast moving fish . maybe its because ive only had a very small tanks before so my past bettas moved slow. maybe the water this time around (after the change) was better then the past batch of water and he's loving it :P ??

lol, "cycling" trying to use the lingo, didnt know the definition of the word. sorry for trying to be a poser :P i'll own up to being a newb

my heater (it has an auto setting) says it can go up to 85 degrees but the sticker thermometer located closer to the bottom of the tank reads the temp at 75, heat tends to raise so maybe its closer to high 70s near the top of the tank...maybe??, i also have my heater located near the bottom)

PARASITES IN ROCKS!! i will be taking those rocks out tonight. i got cheap and didnt want to buy rock/substrate/gravel from the store.

i will do another water change tonight, probably full water change and tank scrub to get rid out any chemicals/ bad stuff i may have just introduced into the tank

the remover i got is actually removes all 3...i forget the names: nitrate, nitrate and ni-something or the other

after paying rent and filling up the car with gas i think i will be broke so im hesitant on running to the store and buying conditioner but that will be my 1st purchase on my next paycheck (next fri)

Last edited by itsuki; 01-11-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #5 
itsuki

i guess i will go with a bare tank for a month or so but i do want to keep my wood tiki statue and am abit freak outed that i may have polluted the tank by introducing those rocks. what would be the ideal have of sanitizing my tiki statue/decor??
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #6 
sainthogan

chlorine will eventually kill your fish, water conditioner is not optional.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #7 
MollyJean

For the tiki statue, is it an actual aquarium ornament? Is it real wood? Wood like that used for building and a lot of house decor (nick-nacks) is made with chemically treated wood and should not be placed in an aquarium. If the decoration is made for an aquarium, you should scrub it with vinegar and water mix and boil it (I scrub all of my new decor with a mix of one gallon hot water and 1/2 cup distilled vinegar, then boil for at least 20 minutes, longer with larger objects, but people have different methods, so I would look around.)

Some tips for saving money:

If you can't get dechlorinator, leaving water to sit for 24 hours (Longer is better) is just fine. I would start off doing this: Clear out your tank. Scrub it, sides, bottom, everything. Those outdoor rocks can be dangerous. Remove the fish and put him in something small that can float in his big tank for a day or two. Add clean water, whatever chemicals you have, and then let the tank sit for 24 hours. Set the heater up and float your fishy in the water til it's ready, so he stays warm :) After that you can let him go in the water and it'll be safe.

For decoration, you can use most silk plants. I pick up plants from the thrift store all the time. Make sure you wash them very well and then boil them. If you notice any colors bleeding at all, do not use the plant. Some silk plants have metal in the stems. This needs to be removed. Most simply strip away, some you will need to cut. No metal in the fishie water! :)

There are some decorations you can use. Marbles are a favorite. If you find clear glass decorations without paint on them you can clean them well (as above) and use them. I get a lot of my decorations from thrift stores and yard sales. it saves money, but you have to be ready to clean whatever you buy very well, and watch closely for sharp edges on decor and plants. Any you find should be cut off and smoothed over.

Your fish will be fine in a bare bottom tank, it won't do any harm, but a happy fish likes hiding places and areas to explore. When you can afford better accommodation, go for it! But don't stress about it yet.

For cycling, I would look up the process on these forums. It takes about a month to cycle a tank properly. When you're ready to do this, put him in his smaller tank for a few weeks while your big tank cycles. But for now, do water changes and keep the water clean on your own.

Good luck with your fishy friend. We love pictures, and you ask all the questions you want, we're here to help!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #8 
MollyJean

P.S. I use that same heater in a lot of my tanks. 75 is just fine, I have never had any problems, though most would suggest you go a few degrees higher. I wouldn't stress about a new heater. :)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post

If you can't get dechlorinator, leaving water to sit for 24 hours (Longer is better) is just fine.

But there are other things in tap water besides chlorine that are harmful to fish, which is why you need a conditioner. Leaving water out overnight does not remove chloramine, which is also very harmful to fish. You can leave it out for 72 or more hours, and it will begin to break down, but not completely remove it.
My tap water contains high levels of ammonia that I can only bring down with a good water conditioner.
So leaving it out overnight, may help in the short term, but it's not removing all the harmful things that a water conditioner does.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 
MollyJean

I said "If you can't get dechlorinator" and it's a problem sometimes. People get fish, bring them home and realize they didn't get the chemicals. Noobie mistake, but everyone makes those, right?

Aged water is not good for prolonged use, but if there is no dechlorinator around and you're broke, it works. Tap right out of the sink can kill a fish pretty fast, but aged water will be fine until you can get chemicals.