Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #1 
NoPurposeFlour

Euthanasia - is it time?

So I posted a thread a month ago about my fish who has been going down hill. Found here, it will give you a lot of back story.
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No.
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-5 pellets a day.
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat. Aquarium Salt.
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I only test ammonia since I do water changes so often, and its at zero.
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins slowly deteriorating. Red on edge of fins started reappearing. Patches of fins are pale.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Become sluggish since redness reappearing, and I believe he has cataracts because he keeps missing his food. He also doesn't flair at his reflection like he used to.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried a lot, I'll explain below.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Around two or older?
Here I go with long explanations again. So about one month ago I have posted that thread about my betta, he had been getting better but I was worried that he wouldn't make a full recovery. I had been treating him with fungus cure for about a week before he started to get red dots on the edge of his fin. I finished the suggested treatment and then decided to just do water changed for a while to see if he improved. He didn't so a week later I started to treat him with maracyn and maracyn two, at the same time. He got better, the red dots on the edge of his fins disappeared. I treated him for ten days to make sure the disease was gone. After about a half a week the redness reappeared. As a last ditch effort I started treating him with hydrogen peroxide, out of water, directly to damaged fins. Obviously in the safe and correct manner. This treatment did nothing. So I discontinued it after doing it three times. Its been a week. He's pretty bad now, the edges of his fins are really red, and no matter how many water changes I do, he's not getting better.

What I'm asking is, do you think it's a lost cause? Should I try to treat him with maracyn two again, even though the instructions said to only use for ten days and no more? Should I euthanize him? What would you do? I just need some advice.
NoPurposeFlour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

I saw the pictures on your other thread. You fish looks like mine. Poor little guy.

Let's see if I have the treatment timeline straight:
Frayed fins noticed....
Wk 1 - Jungle Fungus Clear - Red dots appear on fins....
Wk 2 - Water - No change....
Wk 3 - maracyn and maracyn 2 - improvement seen....
Wk 4 - (continued above for 10 days total)...
Wk 4.5 - Water - redness reappeared
Wk 5ish - hydrogen peroxide - no change

OK, so the combination of maracyn and maracyn 2 worked the best.

Other than the fins - how does he seem? Is he pretty active? Interested in food?

If the answer is that he seems all right other than the fins.... then, to ME personally, well, I wouldn't be ready to euthanize yet.... I, personally, would say that if the combination of medications didn't seem to make him feel sick, then I would just retreat w/ the combination again, and see what happens. I'd hope that the first treatment weakened the disease enough that the second treatment could wipe it out.

Again, that's what I'd do. Everyone has their own decision to make, though.....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #3 
callistra

I would look for Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus. I wouldn't euthanize due to fin rot.

How is he acting otherwise?

Is there a reason you're keeping his tank so cold? 78-80 is ideal with 76 being minimum. I wouldn't increase it at this point though because you don't want to speed up a bacterial infection. AFter he's well, I would though. The low temp will wear down his immune system.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

I no this isn't any help, But treat him
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
I no this isn't any help, But treat him
Yeah, I agree. These guys are tough. They can look really bad - and then get better.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't think you should euthanize due to fin issues. Have you tried aquarium salt?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #7 
NoPurposeFlour

LittleBlue - I think I will try treating him with maracyn 1 and 2 again, I'm just afraid that because I already treated him with two rounds, a third would hurt his system.

callistra - where can I find Kanaplex? I've been trying to find it, even online and can't. Also, I've been keeping his tank at 75 degrees because I know that many baterial disease thrive in higher temperatures of water. My other tank, the one he used to be in, stays at a consistent 80 degrees with an adjustable heater. Ever since the fin rot started to get bad in december he's been just laying on the bottom of the tank or hiding in his pipe. He sometimes doesn't even come out when I walk by or try to feed him. But he does still eat.

eatmice - I'm going to try!

Matt - yes, I've been using aquarium salt. About one teaspoon per gallon. Though I'm thinking about stopping since its not doing anything and its been over ten days of me treating him with it.

Anyway, I'm just worried that my fish is suffering. There is a split in the middle of his tail (caudal) fin that reaches to his body and that is the place where I am worried about him most. I'll take more pictures tonight when I get back from work. I'm just worried that this split has made him get an infection or something.

Last edited by NoPurposeFlour; 01-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would stop treatment for a week, just keeping his water extremely clean. He's gone through so much treatment that his liver and kidneys are probably stressed and/or damaged. Check out this link- http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #9 
callistra

I would not retreat with anything that failed the first time. The Maracyns are not the best.. Maracyn has next to no chance of helping as fin rot is almost always gram negative and Maracyn II is harsh and isn't the most effective med. You'll need to call around and see if you can find Kanaplex in your area. yellowpages.com search for 'aquarium' and maybe 'pet' and see what you can find. If you can't find it you can try Maracyn Plus or Furan 2. In addition to the antibiotics stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon can help with fin regrowth and fish stress.

I would not stop meds if you are seeing rapid rot or anything that's become close to the body like you are describing. Splits are usually caused by him getting snagged on something or flaring too much though.. have you tested all ornaments using pantyhose to see if they snag?

I would never euthanize for fin rot as it is very treatable and the cause is almost always poor water quality. It's hard to keep a betta healthy for more than a couple few years in a tank that small but you're doing everything right based on your info.

Last edited by callistra; 01-12-2013 at 02:44 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #10 
NoPurposeFlour

Hey all, I wanted to update and tell you whats going on with Wulfred. Unfortunately, it isn't good news. So I had found maracyn plus at a LPS and treated him for five days. At first it seemed to work, and then the last two days took a turn for the worse. Ever since then his fins have been getting closer and closer to his body. In a last ditch effort I tried pimafix for a few days, and it obviously did not do anything. His tail fin is basically gone, and part of it even reaches his body. his other two fins are turning white and quickly deteriorating. He is eating, but that's about as normal as he's been for a while. He can barely swim and so I have to keep his water lower in the QT tank so that he doesn't have to swim to far to get air. I'm planning to euthanize him either tomorrow or Monday. Is there any other treatments that any of you know of, I have literally tried everything. I'm desperate. I have never seen fin rot so persistent.