Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #21 
Vizja13

I should really get a more recent picture of Alexei, thatwas taken the day after I got him. He's colored up a bit more, and looks like his fins may stretch to HM. If not he will definitely be super delta. Had to get him some new plants last night though (also tok advantage of the dollar/gallon sale to pick up the spawn tank, yay.) He wasn't happy with the amount of cover in the tank...and admittedly the plants had been plastic, though none had ever caused issues with previous bettas. In fact they'd been in the female's tank at one point xP

Interesting take on the PetCo bettas...the marble VT male is actually from Pet o. Huh. No wonder they always have the prettiest bettas around here.

Someone good with genetics (still trying to figure our how colors are coded in there) able to help explain the copper to marble? I know how tails will work, but not color. I have a ton to learn...at least I have until June.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Please also note, VT is very hard to rehome since they are super common. VT is dominant over everything, though breeding to a DT you may get split tails... That are uneven and depending on your goals a lot of culling would be needed. HM would cause a wider caudal, as would delta and super delta.

If you wanted to breed your crowntail, make it easier on yourself and find a crowntail male that can even out the bad qualities and enhance the good. I like her, she's cute ^_^ As everyone has already mentioned the genetics will be unknown so you may get a lot of deformed, or not, or may get wonky fins, or not. Even breeding two solids you may get the oddest colors out of a pair

Everyone has had to start somewhere. I started out with pet store fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #23 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool966 View Post
does anyone know where petsmart and petco get there fish from? local or international? I saw this really nice long tail HM at petco that came in today but was dead on arrive sadly and they barely had any water in the package when it came in.
Both get same place. Seagrest [sp??] Lot of disease comes through that place to be careful. Another reason buying or getting from a breeder is good.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #24 
Vizja13

Basement, I would if I had access to one, but I know of no breeders anywhere near me...it's sad, because I would love to give my business to a breeder not petstores. I've been lucky with my guys now, but have gotten bettas with health issues before (thus why I leaned towards Cap, the marble VT, I know he is healthy as well as I can as he is over a year old and never had any kind of sickness or injury.)
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #25 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I would breed the female she is a cutie but find a ct male to breed to her instead of a vt because if you do breed that pair your babies will be vt itch ragged looking fins and those are undisireable IMO.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

Shaggy fins :p
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #27 
Vizja13

Yeah after reading thoughts on here, I am leaning towards the Superdelta/HM (He is still very young...probably just four months, and we all know how long it takes store bettas to mature. I'm SURE the fin damage imposed by those idiot employees didn't help -eyeroll-) I just need to look into how his copper would cross with her marble.

Alexei also says he knows we are talking about him and he wants food. At least he's finally eating.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

You can learn first hand what copper x marble will do :) even the best of breeders make mistakes, or learn new things! Just make sure your fishies can get good homes.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #29 
Myates

Ask indjo about the two.. if anyone here would know, he would :)

I have a copper girl myself whom I love her red fins and love her personality, but she only matches up to 1 boy which is sad.. :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

I have yet to find coppers here. Cambodians seem to be the faze currently