Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #41 
Myates

You will jar once they start to fight, but that could easily be a couple months+.. so cull heavy heavy if you are to keep them in the 10g, with LOTS of water changes as they produce the hormone to stunt their growth. So.. you would have to cull down to about 5-8 babies (imo) for them to grow in the 10g before you jar them. Keep the temp up to 82-84, lots of live foods.

I use clove oil.. cheap and it puts them to sleep before death. Just make sure if you use it, to shake it a whole bunch, otherwise your fish will suffer for a longer period. I have an asprin bottle to do the shaking part, and a large deli cup for holding the fish in.. don't use either for anything else fish related.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #42 
joecool966

wow grow out tank you suppose to have 5-8 fry's for a 10gal? I have like 50-70 right now in a tank but im setting up another 10gal soon.
joecool966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #43 
Myates

At some point the fish will outgrow the 10g and you will be having to do daily water changes.. breeding tank/fry tank a 10g is great - I have a few set up as well using 10gs, but I also have 30 gallons for growing out, as bigger space = longer to build up deadly conditions, more room = less aggression, bigger tank = faster growth, etc etc. At least from my research and teachings from many breeders with decades of experience. You can use 10 gallons, but it is wise to have multiple of them and spread out the fry once they start to get too big for one 10g, and you would need to up the water changes to daily if using 10gs as well - hormones and dead food build up a lot quicker in the smaller tanks.

As I said, imo (in my opinion) it is wise to keep the fry/juveniles down to a minimum when using smaller tanks... To grow fry healthy and to a good size the less you have in the tank, the healthier/better they will be.. why people use larger tanks to grow them out so they can have more babies than just a few.

Think of it this way - how many female bettas, or for the matter fish in general, do you recommend people to keep in a 10g? 5? 8? How are you going to stuff 20, 30 fish into that same space, and still have them healthy, growing appropriately, and not killing one another due to feeling "trapped" (which does happen with bettas)? If you wouldn't keep more than say 10 fish in a 10g tank in any other circumstance, why do it to the ones that actually need the space to grow, etc?

As mentioned in your thread about using a 10g -

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
It's ok to use several smaller tanks (multiple 10gs) as long as you keep up with the water changes - smaller= less fry and more frequent WC.
Will need more than 1 if she wishes to keep more than a handful of babies and raise them..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #44 
Sena Hansler

For them to grow at a proper rate, technically you need to follow the general idea of filtration with tank size with amount of fish... Example: goldfish don't go in a 10 gallon... But a 10 is fine for more if you literally do massive water changes and want to jar early to avoid aggression in smaller spaces. Trust me ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #45 
Vizja13

...I will be checking craigslist for 20-30 gallons then. Does it have to be long? I've never seen one come up there. They seem rare in my area. which is sad I'd love to keep one, they're my favorite size. Someday I plan to do a sorority in one. Probably a "out of college" scenario though.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

If you can find a long it would be better... Otherwise a regular would work as well. Avoid the tall tanks however since bettas prefer long VS tall :)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #47 
Vizja13

Yep, got that :) Poor Alexei got the hex tank (10 gallons but...taller) because the new ten has no stand. I kind of saw him and was like, there is no way I can leave him to die. Hex tank it is. Luckily he's taken to it really well. Otherwise my desk may have ended up with a five gallon...and an annoyed mother xP She is ok with the spawn (I've convinced her for educational purposes) but she's never understood my fish addiction.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #48 
Sena Hansler

F.A... Fish Anonymous
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #49 
Vizja13

I need to join :P Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery right?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #50 
Sena Hansler

What problem? >_>