Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question Is he ready?

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong post, I wasn't sure where to put it. I've been treating my Betta Pigg for fin rot for a week and a half now and was thinking of putting him back in his 10g tomorrow or Sunday. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be good, or to wait until the full two weeks next Wednesday. Here are some before and after pictures:

Before:

After:

Sorry for the bad after pics, there isn't very good lighting. Also, I've been treating him with Aquarium Salt and fresh water, basically, doing 25-100% water changes every other day.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #2 
Syriiven

My advice is to compare all the spots where the finrot occurred - if all these spots of that super white re-growth, then I'd imagine he's ready. I had a biter and did aq salt baths on a near bi-weekly basis so he'd let it grow back ><
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I feel like crying- in some parts it looks miraculously better, but in others it just seems worse. I don't know what else to do for him, I can't spend any more money on medicine- my mother won't let me or take me to PetSmart to get some.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #4 
Syriiven

OH, don't cry! I know it can be difficult to see him this way but you're doing what you should be - treating him for it. You caught it early enough that it'll save him.

So, what size tank is he in right now? And how much salt per gallon have you been using?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

He's in a heated non-filtered 5g with 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons. I give him half a tablespoon with 50% changes, etc. I heard that not having a filter would be good for some reason, but I can't get one anyways, though I do have a bubble wand I could put in there.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #6 
Syriiven

You can try doubling the dosage of AQ Salt. I would do 1 tsp/gallon for my Phy in his 1 gallno QT tank with 100% changes daily. Not sure what the equivalent would be for a 5gallon xD

But yea, you could double the dosage for...I'd try 3 days and check for more re-growth. From the pictures it looks like he should be good, but if you want to be certain just a few more days.

And then just keep the water really clean for him =) That's the best way to keep away diseases.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

Thank you so much!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #8 
Syriiven

You're very welcome =) Just be careful not to leave him salt for too many more days. You may even want to give him a day of clean water before going back to AQ Salt
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #9 
Syriiven

You know, maybe even just change him to clean water in his qt and watch him for a few days and see if it keeps re-growing. Clean water can cure fin-rot as well as any med. And that way you wont' go overboard with the AQ Salt.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

I put him back in his big tank. He was just so miserable and had been in the QT so long... All he would do is sit in his Betta log and not move. At least now he's swimming around.