Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #1 
Maryacr

Twin tail halfmoon male... Help

We got Skye December 22nd as a gift for my daughter, he was perfectly fine and his fins were beautiful and graced in the water. About 2 weeks ago I went and got a 1 galloon tank. And a live plant... About 2 days later I found him with his fins severely clamped... Poor guy. I went and bought a thermometer, water tester and the aqueon water maintence.

housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Was 74 until 2 days ago- resting at 78
Does your tank have a filter? Did... But the current was too strong so I only used it maybe 10 minutes. And watched the entire time.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No...
Is your tank heated? No... Light seems to keep it at 78
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Q 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueoun Betta Bowl Plus, was using tetra betta safe.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I checked it with a strip from sentry mardel... It showed all well but maybe a little low in alkalinity... The color was yellow.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins clamped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No, still very active and friendly
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Thinking maybe a couple of months... I thought he was small
Attached Images

Maryacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #2 
Maryacr

This is how he used to look...
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Do you leave the tank light on all the time? A light will not heat a tank consistently. If you turn it off at night, those large temperature changes will stress him out a lot. I would get a heater and a light that does not change the temp so durastically. He needs to have both a consistent temp and a consistent day/night cycle. You should keep the lights on about 8-12 hours a day and try to turn them on and off around the same time each day. Also, watch the plant... I don't know what type of light you have, but without the correct lighting and nutrients, that plant will die and cause an ammonia spike.

Do you have SPECIFIC numbers for ammonia? It should be 0. Nothing is considered "safe" or "okay" except for 0.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 
MollyJean

You change the water once every 3 days, 75%, right? For a 1 gallon tank, that might not be enough. Small tanks are very hard to care for because you need to keep the water super clean, and have very little wiggle room to do so. more water changes might be needed, but a larger tank would work better. 3 gallons is ideal for a small tank. But to be honest I don't see him clamping because of of water conditions.

Do you have a proper heater or is the room temp/light used to heat the water?

Has the water been cloudy?

Has he been eating the food you give him?

Is he rubbing up against the sides or any surfaces?

Does he act lethargic? Does he stay resting on the bottom or move around a lot?

Have you added any decorations, rocks or plants that are not meant for fish or aquariums recently?

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what's wrong with a fish... it's a process of elimination. It might be as simple as stress. If his tank is as bare, as your pictures show, he might just be stress. If his heat isn't stable, he might be stressed. Hiding places and a heater will do a lot to keep him healthy.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #5 
Maryacr

I used a color reading chart for the test.... I'm sure it's not the best quality but it didn't have any touch of green in the color. Which the test says that's a zero... I have left the light on... So tomorrow I can go get a heater then start the change with the light. Will his fins ever be beautiful again you think?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #6 
Maryacr

The water has never had any dirty nor film at the surface... It stays pretty clean. No heater and I have been leaving the light on 24/7. Tomorrow I will get a heater and a hideout for him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
You change the water once every 3 days, 75%, right? For a 1 gallon tank, that might not be enough. Small tanks are very hard to care for because you need to keep the water super clean, and have very little wiggle room to do so. more water changes might be needed, but a larger tank would work better. 3 gallons is ideal for a small tank. But to be honest I don't see him clamping because of of water conditions.

Do you have a proper heater or is the room temp/light used to heat the water?

Has the water been cloudy?

Has he been eating the food you give him?

Is he rubbing up against the sides or any surfaces?

Does he act lethargic? Does he stay resting on the bottom or move around a lot?

Have you added any decorations, rocks or plants that are not meant for fish or aquariums recently?

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what's wrong with a fish... it's a process of elimination. It might be as simple as stress. If his tank is as bare, as your pictures show, he might just be stress. If his heat isn't stable, he might be stressed. Hiding places and a heater will do a lot to keep him healthy.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Sometimes they change colors. However, he will probably go back to normal with proper conditions, being a consistent 78-80 degree temp (consistency is so SO important!), clean water, conditioner, a proper day/night cycle...

If this does not perk him up, it may be a sickness. Watch for any behavioral changes such as the ones mentioned by MollyJean or any other physical/behavioral changes. Some of them may not be anything to worry about... But it is perfectly OK to be cautious if you aren't sure. You are always welcome to post any other questions or concerns on this site.

Edit: I also think he may be stressed because of the light. They do not have eyelids, so he can't get any rest! They need no more than 8-12 hours of light per day.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #8 
Maryacr

Thanks guys for your help... He doesn't rub against anything and he runs to you everything you even walk by lol. I do see him hiding under the plants so that may be the issue with the hideout and light... Makes sense.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #9 
eatmice2010

You need to turn the pump on if its to strong i recommend buying a smaller one or block the water flow with plants or some kind of non harmful decor.Your feeding him to much (is it pellet or flake?) if pellet i would reduce his feeding to 5-6 pellets once a day, if flakes then give him a a pinch half the size of your pinky finger of flake- once a day also.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

And you've been keeping the light on for 2 days straight... right?
I'm willing to bet it is lack of sleep. I would try turning the light off for a little while and wrapping a blanket around the tank to keep in warmth. Their immune systems get compromised when they are stressed. I honestly think that giving him resting time right now would be more important that keeping the tank four degrees warmer. Make sure you test the heater and raise the water temp slowly as to not stress him out even more after you get that heater.