Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #11 
callistra

He looks like he has a very white head and belly via the photos.. is this true? is it fuzzy at all? Does it looks like he's missing scales?

Light needs to go out at night. He needs darkness to sleep just like you do.

If you're using the light to heat his tank this isn't an appropriate method. It will cause swings. You need a proper heater and an in tank thermometer to monitor it. Any heater should have a thorough test run for 24 hours in similar sized container to make sure it will heat to a proper temp and hold it there (no swings). And your betta will need to be acclimated to the hotter water slowly.

You need to increase water changes. In something that small he will always be exposed to low levels of ammonia and there's not much you can do about it. That's one of the reasons why 2 gallons is considered minimum to keep betta's long term. In what you have 2 water changes a week are needed at minimum - one 50% and one 100% which should include a thorough rinsing of the gravel and all decor.

Your feeding is on the high end. Make sure he's pooping regularly and not looking bloated. If he's not pooping regularly and looking bloated you could cut back to 2 2x a day. No matter what or how much you feed he needs one fast day a week with no food.

Here is how to do all those water changes without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

Last edited by callistra; 01-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

+1 to Callistra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
You need to turn the pump on if its to strong i recommend buying a smaller one or block the water flow with plants or some kind of non harmful decor.Your feeding him to much (is it pellet or flake?) if pellet i would reduce his feeding to 5-6 pellets once a day, if flakes then give him a a pinch half the size of your pinky finger of flake- once a day also.
The pump is not needed. They live in still water in the wild and don't like the water flow, and I also don't believe that the plant would benefit from the pump...

The OP said they feed 6 pellets a day. The Aqueon pellets are kind of big, though... So I'd maybe reduce it to 3-4 a day. It is good that you are feeding twice a day and not all at once. Personally, I feed one pellet 3 times a day to spread it out. (I feed 2 three times a day for NLS pellets because they are a lot smaller).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #13 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
+1 to Callistra.

The pump is not needed. They live in still water in the wild and don't like the water flow, and I also don't believe that the plant would benefit from the pump...

The OP said they feed 6 pellets a day. The Aqueon pellets are kind of big, though... So I'd maybe reduce it to 3-4 a day. It is good that you are feeding twice a day and not all at once. Personally, I feed one pellet 3 times a day to spread it out. (I feed 2 three times a day for NLS pellets because they are a lot smaller).
Agree with both of these. I only use filters in 10 gallon or larger tanks, with smaller, there's no point to cycle, and the air flow isn't needed for Bettas like it is with many other fish. I find most of my large finned boys don't like bubbles at all.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

To elaborate a little bit, bettas get their air from the water surface so they do not need the water to be oxygenated. Also, filters are ONLY useful to create a nitrogen cycle (again, they get their water from the surface) and it is not possible to hold a cycle in a one gallon tank as it's too small.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote