Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #1 
SomethingWitty

Sanitizing tank & decorations after deceased fish

I've read a couple things online about how to sanitize a tank and the decorations after a deceased fish, but I'm not sure if they are valid ways to go about doing so or not.
So my tank has been sitting empty for about a week now. I ran it and all the decorations under hot water and now have them in a container.
Somewhere I read that you can dilute bleach or vinegar to sanitize it all, and then sit it out in the sun for a couple of days.
There are 2 problems with that.
1: I live in an apartment, and I'm pretty sure my neighbors would steal my stuff.
2: It calls for sleet and snow tomorrow.
Are there any other ways to sanitize this stuff? Also, should the sand that was in the tank be throw out, or can I sanitize it too and reuse it?

Thanks
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-usually once the tank sits dry for at least 72h-most all pathogens dehydrate and will not be problematic.
Depending on what the other Betta died from to stat with-some of the pathogens in our systems are ever present anyway and it the fish immune response that prevent them from being infected.

When in doubt-you can use a diluted water/bleach solution (20:1) to clean all the non-porous items and/or soak overnight-Then a good fresh water rinse and using double dose on the dechlorinator with the finial re-fill.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #3 
SomethingWitty

Thanks!
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

This is a good thread about sanitizing your tank- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125078
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #5 
Rosso1011

I'm curious. What should be done about porous items and non-glass aquariums?
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote