Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #1 
esbetta

feeding betta

I recently got a blue and red fantail betta for the first time and have him in a 1 gallon rectangular tank with 1 ornament, filtration and a light. He seems to be doing fine after 2 weeks. His color has improved and he is lively. We put a mirror near the tank so he can see his reflection.

The pet store we got him at suggested the small bites pellet food and said to feed the betta 6 - 7 pellets every 3 days. But when I got home and read the package it said to feed 1 - 2 pellets once a day.

Which method is better for the fish?
esbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #2 
puff

Hey! Welcome to the forum!!
I used to feed mine about 4-5 a day. However I was advised by an expert to feed the fishie as follows:
Your feeding schedule should be determined by your fish. He knows how hungry he is, and when. Feeding once/day is plenty, and what I suggest is 2 - 3 pellets at a time until he turns away. Keep count, this will tell you how many to offer next time. If you do this for a week, by the end of it you'll know exactly how much he wants/needs and you'll have a nice routine worked out for you both.

Hope this helps!
BTW, you should think about getting Fishie a bigger tank like 2.5 gallons or larger!! :D
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #3 
SST

I feed mine 2 or 3 at a time, twice a day. I do blood worms once a week and flakes once in a while instead of the pellets.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #4 
Cody

I know you asked what to feed him...but you need to buy a heater. Don't sya the light is enough, because it isn't. During the night the temperature can easily drop 10+ degrees, and that can kill a fish.

Pellets are his staple diet. I feed mine 2-3 pellets twice a day. Once or twice a week, I give him a few bloodworms in addition.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #5 
getlikeme22

everywhere i look there is different recommendations on how much to feed a betta, am i feeding to much if im feeding 7-8 pellets daily skipping 1 day of feeding out of the week?
getlikeme22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #6 
Dtld9

You may end up overfeeding him. Sometimes Betas will eat until there tumy explodes
Dtld9 is offline   Reply With Quote