Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Fastest way to tell if you are under feeding?

What is the fastest and easiest way to tell if you are under feeding your betta? I am just curious because my betta seems fine, but I just can't wrap my head around how a creature can be sustained from 5 dots per day lol...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Well, if you are, then the betta's stomach might look a little... Flat. Go for a evenly rounded belly. As said right here. The site maybe a little outdated yes, but the pictures about overfeeding and underfeeding are right on Q.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Oh. I must have been underfeeding this whole time! Would this have just caused him to have less energy than he could potentially have?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #4 
callistra

5 pellets a day is plenty unless you're talking about micro pellets.

You don't want an overly round belly. Belly might be round after feeding but should go down.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I wouldn't really say that, their bellies are the size of their eye! If you've been fasting for like 3-4 days and then feeding a small amount, I think that's under feeding.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Well I can feed him like 8 nls sized pellets at once without his belly looking much different at all! But I feel like that's too much /:
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #7 
Myates

If you're still feeding the GP then you can definitely go more than that.. I tend to feed my fish (using NLS, GP, Omega, among others given out via breeders) anywhere from 8 to 12+ pellets a day (depending upon size and fed multiple times a day) with no health issues/bloating/constipation. My females especially tend to have pretty good size rounded bellies, my males slightly rounded.

But your GP size, I'd personally would toss in 3-5 per meal twice a day and see how he does.. work him up a bit slowly at first and see how he handles more food.. if he shows a healthy rounded belly after 8 pellets total a day then stop at that.. but if he is active and his waste is normal then continue up to 10 if you would like.

Your using the GP 500-800 micron, correct? This is the 500-800 next to a quarter.. so definitely.. 3-5 per meal twice a day is fine.

Some people feed more, some less.. if he isn't as active then may want to look at other things to, such as temp of tank, how much mental stimulation does he have (decorations/plants), etc.. bettas can do fine and be active with as little as a couple pellets every other day or so.. but generally they are a bit more active the better they eat.

This is my opinion.. I know many breeders and big hobbyists tend to feed quite a bit more than what is recommended on here, but it's at your discretion on how much you want to feed a day, what you are comfortable with. 5 a day is also just fine to feed, as long as it's quality food.
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 01-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

I was actually wondering about a different food I feed. I do have the GPs, but they aren't my staple...

Thanks for the info though...