Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #1 
LuvMyBetta21

fin and scale problem?

Last week I made a post with pictures about possible fin rot on my betta.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124911 A few users said it looked like torn fins as opposed to rot. I found what I thought was the culprit plant removed it and replaced it with a different silk plant. Yesterday I noticed some of his scales look a little black. His fins look like the have some regrowth but I saw what looks like a black streak on his fin. I took his water to get tested at petsmart yesterday and they said the ammonia was a little high but the tank is still cycling and he was due for a wc so I think that may have something to do with it. When I got home I did a 75% wc added water conditioner, aq salt and stress coat. Tomorrow I plan on doing a 50% wc and adding everything again. Is this a good idea? Could he have been sick when I got him and I'm just seeing signs of it now? Or could it be nothing and I'm just a paranoid first time fish mom :) It's hard to get a good picture. He doesn't like the camera lol he flares up at the sight of my phone haha. But this is the best I could get.

A disgruntled Leonard lol
LuvMyBetta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #2 
callistra

Well I told you in the other thread it looked like rot and I still see signs of rot. The splits are generally tears or overflareing but to boot you have graying and it looks like some melting. I don't see any issue with his scales. Looks like a normal color pattern to me.

When all the graying/melting bits/receding stops and goes away and you see signs of regrowth you know you're in the clear.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #3 
LuvMyBetta21

ok thank you. how much AQ salt should I be using? the box said 1 tablespoon per 10g but I saw in the sticky it said 1 tsp per gal.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #4 
callistra

1 tsp per gallon when using for this :) Make sure you predissolve it. It will also never break down or evaporate so you only need to readd it when doing a water change, and only as much as % water you change.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #5 
LuvMyBetta21

Thanks again :) I'll be sure to do that tomorrow. I only put 2 tsps last night because I wasn't sure.