Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #1 
sunstar93

King Betta(:

I finally got my king betta! (:
His name is Sparky. I brought him home yesterday and slowly acclimated him to the tank (10 gal). 2 hours after he was released into the tank he was still very shy, ventral and tail fins still kinda clamped, stress stripes. I figured that was normal. This morning and today, he is happily swimming around, playing in the air bubbler, ate 2 or 3 pellets today (working up to 4 or 5). He's still shy and I think that's due to the tank being kinda bare in places but I'm going to clean some plants I have and put them in there with him.
Why named Sparky? He twitches. Even when he is floating near the top or staying still, you can see his tail twitching. I'm medicating the tank with a round of Maracide in case that has something to do with it but he seems fine otherwise..he's not scratching or anything. I'm thinking it may be a neurological thing?

Here he is!! Sorry for the bad picture, he wouldn't come out to have his picture taken lol
(if you can't see, his body & head are very dark with green iridescent scales on his body, his fins are blue and red and green)

sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He's nice! Does he have a heater?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #3 
blu the betta

thats funny because i was just going to post about getting a king betta with a tank for about $5 each.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #4 
sunstar93

Oh yes he does have a heater! Adjustable Top Fin. I have it up on 82* right now, to ward off anything that may have been growing on him lol.
I've been wanting a king for so long and yesterday I finally got him(:
I got a snail today and put him in the tank, then realized I was medicating him with Maracide and took him out haha. That wouldn't have been good!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 
blu the betta

how much did you get it for? i might get 2 for 10 dollars with a tank.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 
sunstar93

He was $12 (prices may be different where you are though). And make sure they each have at least 10 gallons to themselves They will grow a lot bigger. Already he is 3, 3.5 inches long and he's still pretty much an adolescent.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #7 
FlipShady 23

Congrats on your new king betta! I currently have a red male crowntail in a 5 gallon and recently bought a 10 gallon that is empty right now. I haven't decided what fish I want in the new tank but I'm leaning towards a king betta, dwarf gourami, or a school of neon tetras. The king betta might be the best best in terms of ease of care.

You mentioned an air bubbler in your tank, how's your betta reacting to it? I'm considering getting an air bubbler ornament of sorts.
FlipShady 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #8 
sunstar93

Thank you(: He has definitely colored up since I brought him home and has unclamped his fins all the way. Ate 7 omega one pellets (they are so tiny!!)- that's the largest meal he's eaten so far!

And he loves the bubbler lol. He loves to watch the bubbles and will sometimes swim down to the bottom of the tank, swim into the bubbles, and then let them carry him to the top. It's so cute lol. He swims in and out of them almost all the time. It also has little LED lights that change colors and when all the lights are off you can still see him swimming into them lol.
Before I had another one of my bettas in the tank and had the same bubbler and he too loved it. He would try to catch the bubbles and eat them lol.
I know they don't really do much for a betta but I like it because I feel like it gives Sparky a little more stimulation.